cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
C-Rack
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

New OfficeJet 8500 [A909g] crashes router on wireless

HP Recommended

Have a new OfficeJet 8500 [A909g]. Whenever I attempt to connect it to the Time Warner provided gateway [SMC modem/router] it causes the gateway to reset, knocking all my devices off the network. I know it is the printer because whenever it has the wireless radio off the network is perfect [it was also not an issue before the printer]. It cannot be a software issue, since I don't even get to the point of installing the software before the network crashes.

Is this a typical issue with these printers? I may try a new router, but I don't know any reason a printer would cause a router to reboot. 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
David_Hamilton
Level 3
30 30 3 2
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it only happens when you first connect the printer to the network/router, you might try setting a static IP address, rather than letting the printer automatically get an IP address from the router. That would be one less interaction between printer and router.

By the way, what model of SMC is that?

- David 

-David

(I'm an HP employee, but I am speaking for myself and not for HP.)
0 Kudos
C-Rack
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for suggestions.

I attempted the static IP address with no luck. It initially makes the wireless connection ok, but maybe 10 seconds later the modem restarts and all devices lose connection.

The gateway being used is a ISP provided SMC8014WG-SI, it is severely retarded [in the literal definition]. I cannot make ANY changes to it regarding wireless [SSID, encryption, mode, etc..] Again all devices work without issue if the wireless radio is turned off.

The only thing I can think of is that the printer is attempting to 'talk to much' to the SMC and is causing it to crash some how. I have never seen this with any other wireless device.

0 Kudos
David_Hamilton
Level 3
30 30 3 2
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow, can't disagree with your description of the router. Not being able to make changes pretty much rules out other things to try.

When software is installed, there is a bit of continuous traffic, but without the software installed there should be very little. But clearly the router is not happy with something that the printer is doing.

Thanks for the model info.

- David

-David

(I'm an HP employee, but I am speaking for myself and not for HP.)
0 Kudos
dfword
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Call tech support and get a level 3 or 4. I had a similar problem with my 8500 pro wireless and 2wire 1800hg (ATT DSL router/modem). Printer came Friday from Cost Central, took it out of the box, atually read the instructions, and did the wireless wizard on the printer. Entered my router/modem's 10 number WEP and the thing became possessed. Told me to turn it off then on, then gave me "Improper Shutdown" error. Over and over. Did partial resets, partial full resets. You name it. Was about to throw the thing out the window. So I turned off the radio and hooked up via USB. No issues. But I wanted wireless.

Called HP support and the first few calls were a bit rough (I love how you become connected to a rep and all you hear is typing for five minutes), but finally got a level 3 or 4, and they were sharp. He accessed my computer via HP's Live Help, and re-configured my router. Thank god every pic on my hard drive is G rated! I think they enabled DHCP on the router, then reduced the range of allowable IPs for my network, from 144 to 25. Then I was told to enter the printer's IP (I chose from one of the IPs in the range), and Subnet address. This was done on the printer under Network/Advanced settings. The tech guy was chatting with his supervisor during the process, it was a clinic in how to get a solution. Finally, he installed the drivers and the thing started working wirelessly. Then I installed on my laptop and it's a miracle. I had visions of sending it back to HP and getting a refurb. Unfortunately, I bought online to get a better price, so had to deal with HP for returns

I told the tech guy that this model just hit the shelves at Best Buy (it's been at Office Depot for almost a month), so folks with older routers will problably have similar issues

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The problem with some HP wireless printers (including the Officejet Pro 8500) and AT&T's 2WIRE DSL wireless-router is a known issue. For others reading this, the problem is that the printer FW faults when you connect the printer to the 2WIRE router (Ethernet or Wireless).

The work around is to use assign a static IP address to the printer. Here's one way to do this:

1. Unplug he telephone line from the 2WIRE router
  2. Turn the power off on the 2WIRE router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
  3. Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the 2WIRE device (Ethernet or Wi-Fi). The printer will not crash as long as the telephone line is disconnected from the 2WIRE device.
  4. From the Officejet's front panel, access the "Advanced Setup" menu under "Network"
  5. Select "IP Settings", acknowledge the warning and select "Manual IP Address"
  6. Select "IP Address" and change the last IP address group (octet) to something higher or lower. Specifically for your 2WIRE router, select 192.168.0.60.
  7. Press Ok and plug in the telephone line into the 2WIRE router.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
C-Rack
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replys.

2 Things from both posts. I do not have a 2Wire gateway, so these steps would not apply to me [although I could see how they could apply to others]. Part of the original post also states that I am unable to configure the router in ANY way. So while I appreciate the 2Wire experience with the tech controlling the computer to configure the router, I am unable to do this as well.

The other thing I had already tried was the static IP address. Even with a static IP I would get the same exact result.

At this point I am willing to blame the router/gateway. It comes with a severely limited DHCP pool [4 addresses] and the inability to configure it in any way is a major turn off.

If I ever hear from my client again I will replace the router, and re-post back here to follow up. For now I'm going to have to mark this as unsolved. :shrug:

Again I appreciate everyones input! 🙂

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about the 2WIRE advice -- I confused your post with another.

Another option is to purchase a normal wireless-router and connect it to the Time-Warner wireless-router.  You'll end up with a double-NAT configuration but as long as the second wireless-router's subnet is different than the Time-Warner device, it should be OK.

If you do this, make sure all network clients are connected to the second wireless-router.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
C-Rack
Author
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, but I ran into the issue again. This time with a HP J6480 AIO printer and the same SMC Gateway provided by Time Warner.

I suggest if anyone out there has TWC, a SMC wireless gateway and is planning on getting a HP AIO printer to seriously consider calling TWC and getting a standard modem in conjunction with an off-the shelf router [Netgear/Linksys/D-Link/etc..] In the second instance I have resolved the issue with a Netgear router using double NAT and strongly urged my client to contact TWC for a modem.

The SMC in question is model # SMC8014WG-SI

Again thanks to all that replied. I'm surprised that there isn't really any info online regarding this issue.

0 Kudos
Wi-Fi-Guy
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The Time-Warner equipment has been especially problematic for non-PC networked devices (like our printers).  Getting a quality wireless-router and attaching it to the Time-Warner router usually fixes most problems as long you use a different subnet than the Time-Warner device.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation