cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rgallagher1200
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

No fax or scan support for C6180 on Mac with OSX 10.5.8

HP Recommended

When upgrading Mac OSX to 10.5.8 we discovered that the HP C6180 printer we use (wired network)  only supported printing. There is no fax driver and no scanner support. The HP software instructed us to buy a new printer in order to regain those functionalities.

You can imagine well our desire not to buy a new printer when the one we have still works just fine. If HP wishes us to keep buying HP printer cartridges or to ever buy another HP printer again then it would be reasonable to expect continued driver support for printers still in the field. (it's not even all that old...)

Is there  a workaround or updated driver available, please?

Thank you, RG

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Did you try this?
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
rgallagher1200
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your note. That's what I tried first. It did not work so I copied over the drivers from the OS 10.5 System disk as instructed. That got the printer part working but along the way discovered no fax and a specific note from HP about no scanner support in OS 10.5 for the C6180 and related printers.

I could try again, if you thought this was supposed to work for this configuration of printer and OS.

0 Kudos
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,887
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The note in the System disk refers to drivers embedded within OSX.  Up through 10.5 they only support printing (10.6 supports printing, scanning and faxing).

Try to uninstall the software using the uninstaller in Applications, Hewlett-Packard folder, then re-install from the link I gave you.

If all else fails you could spend $29 and upgrade to Snow Leopard and get some disc space back as well! 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
rgallagher1200
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt help.This worked, whereas the same software did not work before.

If there had been a note somewhere in the HP driver instructions that a person needed to upgrade to 10.5.8 from 10.5 prior to attempting to load the printer driver then it would have saved considerable time and frustration.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation