Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Just joined
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Softpack Download Manager 3.6.0.0 fails to install updates

HP Recommended

After upgrade to 3.6.0.0 I have been unable to install any softpacks.

SDM detects packages without issues and gives me a list to download. Completes the download but afterwards gives an error stating "These packages do not support automatic installation, they have been only downloaded", if I click OK a new error "There was an unexpected error during download, do you want to try again". - These loosely translated from Finnish.

If I click OK to the try again, everything downloads again (even shows them twice in the listing) and fails to install.

If I choose Cancel I get back to the list of updates but cannot install them manually "Cannot be installed while downloading".

If I then exit SDM and start it up again (with or without rebooting) I get back in and there is nothing downloaded.

I suspected it might be installation folder or OS version related but even if I set up the folders manually in settings the issue remains.

Have tried this on a ProBook 6560b running a fresh Windows 7 installation (from HP Restore DVD + driver DVD) and a EliteBook 850 running Windows 8.1 (installed late 2014 from HP Restore DVD). The issue is identical on both platforms.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 2
12 12 2 1
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for contacting HP SoftPaq Download Manager Forum.

We appreciate this opportunity to assist you.

Did you choose non-autoinstall softpaq in personal mode?

If possible , please provide us the softpaq number to virify.

If you choose HP Support Assistant Software, the softpaqs were deleted in the FTP server.

The sympton you encountered was as expected. Thanks

Highlighted
Author
Just joined
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The issue occurs even if I have just a single package selected, eg. #70198 (Synaptics TouchPad Driver).

It is flagged as "Newer version available" which as I understand it means that it could be autoinstalled (eg. BIOS is flagged as download only).

I disagree with the packages being deleted after being downloaded, this has not been the case in the past. On my own computer I can still see, in the SDM, the packages that I have downloaded with previous version of SDM and even re-install them manually via the "Show this computer" -tab. Any package that I try to download with the latest 3.6.0.0 seems to fail at either the download or save-after-download phase.

I do believe the issue is with the download or download and save phase of the SDM.

The C:\ProgramData\HP\HP SoftPaq Download Manager\SWDownload -folder does not contain the software packages that SDM has supposedly downloaded post-update. It only contains old packages as .exe (the ones I can see listed in SDM as downloaded) and a considerable amount of .cva files (even with todays timestamp). It would seem that SDM can download the .cva without issues but for some reason cannot or will not download the actual packages.

This would also explain why the packages seemingly vanish after SDM restart, they were never really saved into the correct folder in the first place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"Me too."  I started using 3.6.0.0 yesterday May 7 and have seen this problem on multiple machines yesterday and on one machine today.  I have yet to successfully download any softpaq using 3.6.0.0.

I found this thread while searching the Internet to see if anyone else had run into this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have installed this on new clean build and have also had the same problem.

I have even tried to install the version I had before which automatically updated to the latest version.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm also having the above issue. Please FIX ASAP. I am totally dead in the water.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To the person who is "totally dead in the water" you may be able to get individual drivers from the hp web site at http://www.hp.com .  This is cumbersome if you have more than a few drivers to update and by itself it can't be used to create driver packs and the like but it might get you limping along until this problem is resolved.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks but I use HP SoftPaq Download Manager with SCCM 2012. The task sequence looks at the share drivers folder and pulls from there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 12 2 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tkv wrote:

The issue occurs even if I have just a single package selected, eg. #70198 (Synaptics TouchPad Driver).

It is flagged as "Newer version available" which as I understand it means that it could be autoinstalled (eg. BIOS is flagged as download only).

Hi,

I have borrowed one elitebook 850 G1 notebook with windows 8.1  to duplicate the issue today.

But I still can not duplicate the issue. Can you use feedback function in SDM.

That will send out the SDM log file. Once I recieve the log file. I will analyze the issue ASAP. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP's SDM Support Team provided a fix that worked for me - your milage may vary:

Use /FORCEHTTP command-line switch to force the SoftPaq Download Manager to use the http: protocol instead of the ftp: protocol.  See /t5/HP-SoftPaq-Download-Manager/FAQ-16-Using-HTTP-protocol-in-SDM/m-p/2366947#.VVDdMbEVGM8 for details.

If the cause of your problem is something other than an ftp failure then this solution may not work for you.

Interestingly, I can use my web browsers to download the softpaq directly from the ftp site by drilling down through ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq so there isn't a systemwide problem with my computer accessing HP's ftp site.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation