cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
RGS_1
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Treo Pro Jack Headphone Not Working

HP Recommended

Before all Hello everyone, Im new on this board even though I have been using a Treo 650 for over 2 years. On November I decided to buy a Treo Pro (unlocked) Im from Venezuela but I was in the USA on vacation so I got the phone there. I check the basic functions of the phone and everything was fine. However I didn't check the  jack connection for my headphones until I downloaded some music from my old 650 to my new Pro and surprise, surprise, I just could hear the music from one side of my headphone while the other was completely muted. I check the headphones which are the ones that comes with the treo pro original package with another similar headphone jack hole and it worked fine so the headphone is not the problem but the jack hole itself from the treo pro cell is. I have been reading the forum and people said is a common issue since the 600 series but I never had this problem with my 650 and I was surprised to find out about this flaw on some treo series. Anyway, what can I do? Any idea if other treo pro are suffering  the same issue??

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

RG

Post relates to: Treo Pro T850U (Unlocked)

Message Edited by RGS on 12-30-2008 01:19 AM
7 REPLIES 7
cygnusX1_1
Level 9
4,698 4,698 188 145
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you feel confident that the jack is a problem, you can try a cleaning procedure to see if it is definitely the jack.

There may be a problem with the microswitch in the headset jack. Click on the following link for the forum post regarding this issue. Thanks to Super Contributer, DTfromBH.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=hardware&message.id=31143&query.id=113582#M31143

Post relates to: Palm i705

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
RGS_1
Author
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know this thread is old and even tried the suggested procedure on the link. I even tried new palm headphones and I still hear one side while the other is mute. I dont think it was an smart choice to buy this phone. Im having problems with my wifi to connect and it is really slow compare to other smartphones. Also, the phones lock it self sometime like a dead brick and sometimes the screens freeze with multicolors and I have to reset the phone to get it back online. Im not sure if it is the windows mobiles and if there is an option to change the operating system. ANyway, I will lay down all my troubles here point by point so if anyone could help I would appreciate:

1.- Headphone jack not working well: when I plug in the headphones, I just hear one side. if I move a little bit out the headphone plug I could hear both sides in low volume. I tried the given link procedure and it didnt work. I tried another headphones and plugin and the same problem, I just can hear one side. Any help would be nice.

2.- WIFI is hell slow and problematic to connect sometimes. When I tried to navigate in the internet through the WIFI it takes forever. Anyway to fix that??

3.- When the phone gets in suspended mode (just show the dark screen with the date/clock) sometimes I tried to access it and it kinds of freeze and take a while to react to the button commands. I have to press it several times until finally reacts where in worst case escenarios I just leave it along for few minutes and try to press the buttons again to start using the phone. Any idea why is that?? Any solution??

4.- Sometimes when the phone is in suspended mode  (energy save mode with dark screen just showing the date and clock like above) and I tried to access by pressing any button the screen goes wild with grainny colors like a TV channel without signal. WHy is that? any solution??

Sorry to write down all the problems here but since I started this thread I wanted to keep simple and short. Any help would be appreciated it

Sincerely,

RG

cygnusX1_1
Level 9
4,698 4,698 188 145
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For the headset jack issue, are you using the headset that you received with the Treo? These should work and not have the issue with one side not working. If you are and still have the same problem, there may be a problem with the jack.

For these other issues, you will need to do a hard reset and then use the phone without sync'ing to see if it is the phone with the issues or something that is sync'ing to the phone.

The hard reset will erase all data on the phone so make sure you have sync'ed to backup your info.

Click on the following link to the kb.palm.com webpage for the article regarding Resetting your Windows Mobile Treo smartphone.

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=41108

If the phone stiil exhibits the same behaviour after the hard reset, the phone needs to be replaced.

RGS_1
Author
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We already stated is the Jack since I test with 2 original palm headphone including the one that comes with the Treo Pro. Did anybody had this kind of trouble???

As for Hard reset, I will tried that and get back to you. DO you know if there any other operating system I could use with my treo pro??

thanks for the help,

RG

cygnusX1_1
Level 9
4,698 4,698 188 145
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok. Sorry, I didn't see where it was stated you tried the headset that came with the Treo, just that you tried the Palm branded headsets.

Is this the headset you have used? Model Number: 3363WW

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3242969&cp=3238806&fbc=1&f=PAD%252FDevices%2BSuppo...

I am not aware of any reported problems with the headset jack on the Treo Pro.

If you are using Palm branded headsets that are compatible with the Pro, they should work and not cut out on 1 side of the headsets.

Ok, regarding the Hard reset.

There is no other OS that you can install on the Pro that I am aware of.

RGS_1
Author
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again, I tried hard reset and everything and I even tried to send the phone to palm but since it got a little scratch on the case paint they said the warranty is void. I was really dissapointed and I wont buy a Palm again.  I mean paint get scratches just to touch a wall while you carriying your phone os some carrying cases. More over, the pain look marvelous but if you use a ruber cover, the paint with fade whitish due to the dust that get inside your rubber cover, your painted even gets lined dues to dust between the rubber cover and the phone. Plus $14 charge because it was more than 3 month since purchased is a rip off

Anyway, I wont advise people to buy this phone, programs/software stock from time to time and internet through the wifi is a pain. The only think helpful about Palm is the people and moderators on this forum that are kind enough to help you.

As for the phone itself, I found the problem but I dont think I can solve it. It seems the the plug doesnt go all the way in so when I keep pushing hard I get sound on both side but after I leave the pressure just one side. Indeed looks stupid carrying your phone around and listening to music while you being pushing the plug in the phone. 

Anyway, thank you and if anyone has this kind of issue with any palm before about the plug not going all the way and has solved, any advice will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

RG

cygnusX1_1
Level 9
4,698 4,698 188 145
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are having trouble getting the Treo replaced, asked to be escalated to a supervisor. If they won't help you, ask to be escalated to corporate.

Regarding the headset issue, it sounds like the plug is not long enough to make contact with the jack. You stated that you used the headset you got with the Treo and it did not work. This headset should have no problem. Call smartphone support and report the issue with the headset jack, which should be covered under the 1 year warranty.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation