cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Randomguy
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading a Pavilion h8-1010be

HP Recommended

Hi,

I recently bought a h8-1010be and knew it isn't really good for gaming.

But I thought of upgrading later so. I'm planning to upgrade the gpu GT530 to 

a GTX 560 hawx and the psu 460w  to something near the 750 watt, because I

want to get a second GTX560 TI in the future and have them in SLi. I know that the motherboard H67

isn't capable of doing so so I have to upgrade that too.

So can someone tell me if this can work and also tell me which brand I should get for the psu, gpu and motherboard?

Thanks, RG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,174 24,800 2,904 10,818
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Randomguy, welcome to the forum.

The problem with changing motherboards is that your Recovery Discs will no longer work.  HP tattos their motherboards with the major components of the computer.  So, when the you begin Recovery it checks the mobo for the tatto.  Some of the connectors may not match, such as, the Power Button.  Also, you have to assure that the hole configuration of the motherboard matches the standoffs in the case.  If they don't match you could cause a short that would fry the motherboard.

Another thing to consider is smaller mid-size cases aren't the best for airflow.  It is difficult to route the cables in a way that they don't block the airflow to all of the components.  With a bigger power supply unit (PSU) and two video cards there will be considerably more heat developed.

With all of this said, I will give you some examples of what you will need.

Here is an ASUS motherboard that appears to meet your requirements.  It is a bit expensive.  However, if you decide not to buy it, you can use it as a sample of what you need.  The existing CPU and memory will fit the motherboard.  You would have to get the hole configuration from the manufacturer's Tech Support.  It would be good to ask them their opinion of installing it in a mid-size case with SLI.

I like Corsair and OCZ PSU's.  These manufacturers make good, reasonably priced, products.  You should measure the current PSU and compare the measurements to the one that you choose.

Now for video cards, I like XFX, BFG, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY in that order.  I have come to this belief from personal experience and gaming/enthusiast forums.  Because of the size of the case, I suggest staying under 9" in length.  The card in the link that I provided is a good example of a card that will work.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,174 24,800 2,904 10,818
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Randomguy, welcome to the forum.

The problem with changing motherboards is that your Recovery Discs will no longer work.  HP tattos their motherboards with the major components of the computer.  So, when the you begin Recovery it checks the mobo for the tatto.  Some of the connectors may not match, such as, the Power Button.  Also, you have to assure that the hole configuration of the motherboard matches the standoffs in the case.  If they don't match you could cause a short that would fry the motherboard.

Another thing to consider is smaller mid-size cases aren't the best for airflow.  It is difficult to route the cables in a way that they don't block the airflow to all of the components.  With a bigger power supply unit (PSU) and two video cards there will be considerably more heat developed.

With all of this said, I will give you some examples of what you will need.

Here is an ASUS motherboard that appears to meet your requirements.  It is a bit expensive.  However, if you decide not to buy it, you can use it as a sample of what you need.  The existing CPU and memory will fit the motherboard.  You would have to get the hole configuration from the manufacturer's Tech Support.  It would be good to ask them their opinion of installing it in a mid-size case with SLI.

I like Corsair and OCZ PSU's.  These manufacturers make good, reasonably priced, products.  You should measure the current PSU and compare the measurements to the one that you choose.

Now for video cards, I like XFX, BFG, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY in that order.  I have come to this belief from personal experience and gaming/enthusiast forums.  Because of the size of the case, I suggest staying under 9" in length.  The card in the link that I provided is a good example of a card that will work.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

Randomguy
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kudos and thank you for the quick reply!

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation