cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kenad1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Windows 10

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I was trying to install Windows 10 Home as an upgrade - purchased last week. I have Windows 8.1. It seemed to install fine except after I entered my password into the Windows 10 login screen for the first time - I got a black screen with nothing on it except the recycle box incon and start button. There was an error message saying " Location Not Available   C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop "

I have had four calls to Microsoft technicians - they created a USB bootable device and also updated some of the drivers - however after waiting about 2 hours for the fourth attempt at installation to complete - same thing black screen and location error message. I then had to reboot three times to restore Windows 8.1 back and at that point there was the message: " 0xC190901-0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_Boot phase with an error during BOOT operation "

After four failed attempts - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,499
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Kenad1,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand that you had issues with windows 10 installation and now when you tried to revert to window 8.1, you get this error message “0xC190901-0x40017 The installation failed in the SECOND_Boot phase with an error during BOOT operation " I’ll be glad to assist you.

We need to first diagnose if the issue is a software or hardware related one. Once we establish that the computer’s hardware is fully functional,we can run a system recovery from the recovery media.Please perform a hard reset first.

Steps to do it:

1. Power down the computer and unplug the charger. Then remove the battery.
  2. Hold down the power button of the unit for 15 seconds to discharge static electrical charges inside the machine.
  3. Replace the battery and reconnect the charger.

Please visit this link to run system diagnostics on the computer’s hardware:

http://bit.ly/2cyp9Aj

Please perform the steps from the option “Testing using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)”. There is a video associated with it. Please run both the extensive hard drive tests and the component tests and let me know the results.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community and If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as  “Accepted as Solution”

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation