cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HisBoyElroy
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

"There were unexpected download problems. Retry?" Softpaq download manager

HP Recommended

I have now wasted an entire afternoon fooling around with HPs lovely Softpaq download manager...  First it forces me to download an updated SoftPaq Download Manager version and run-through the install (it used to work before the updated version).  Then I select our 3 new models and click Download, then after ~45 minutes of waiting I get the useless message, "there were unexpected download problems.  Retry?"

• No indication of what the problem is
  • No pointer to a log file
  • No way to troubleshoot

Just a Retry option...  Guess what happens when I click Retry...  45 more minutes of waiting and the same generic error message.  Google searches yield nothing but other frustrated users.  Does anybody have suggestions for how to troubleshot this?  Is there ANY other option besides going through their website and clicking download on each individual driver for each individual model???

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to HP SoftPaq Download Manager. - Hp Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
HP_Forum_friend
Level 3
Level 3
44 44 0 9
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

Here is an Alternate tool to install updates and drivers:

HP Support Assistant

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

I work for HP
HisBoyElroy
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This looks like a tool that you install on each PC to maintain drivers on that particular PC model...

From the website:

"HP Support Assistant helps you maintain your PC and avoid or resolve problems using automated updates and self-help options."

I have an 840.  I need to build SCCM driver packages for the 820G2, 840G2, and Zbook15 G2.  I need to download all drivers for those models so they can install in a task sequence.  Can I do that with Support Assistant?

0 Kudos
HP_Forum_friend
Level 3
Level 3
44 44 0 9
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ah ha!  Here is the tool that should be more beneficial to you and what you are looking to do. HP Systems Software Manager

The HP System Software Manager (SSM) is a utility that automatically detects and updates BIOS, device drivers, and management agent versions on your networked PCs.

HP driver versions that are supported by SSM are denoted with a special icon on the HP driver download web site and on the Support Software CD.

Features and benefits

• Streamline mass deployment of HP System Software updates
  • Simplify the complexity of PC HP System Software management
  • Optimize PC performance
  • Reduce total ownership costs
  • Provide a stable and consistent PC environment key features
  • Automatic detection of hardware and out-of date BIOS & HP System Software
  • Automatic installation of latest HP System Software to multiple PCs simultaneously
  • Updates can take place remotely and in silent, unattended mode so you don't have to leave your chair
  • Summary report is created for tracking and management purposes

SSM compliant BIOS flashing updates for other HP clients are available at the HP driver download Web site. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/clientmanagement/drivers-bios.html?jumpid=va_r11260_go_clientmanagement...

I work for HP
0 Kudos
IT_Guy76
Just joined
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, after the force update to SDM 3.6.0.0 whenever I try to download  drivers after several minutes of downloading there is a pop up window with the message "There were unexpected download problems.  Retry?".   I also use SDM to download drivers to be used with WDS for deploying multiple systems.  I have looked breifly at the SSM but it does not seem to do the same thing as SDM.  I need the ability to download and extract the drivers so they can be imported into WDS.  What has changed with SDM so that it is no longer downloading the drivers and how to I fix it?

0 Kudos
HisBoyElroy
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Per IT_Guy76's message, SSM appears to be a way to mannage existing PCs on a network.  What I am trying to do is build support to deploy new systems.  I might evaluate SSM for machines that are already deployed but I cannot use it to mass-download complete driver packs for new HP models.

HP has given us three evaluation models for 30 days to determine whether we want to purchase them in the next fiscal year.  I cannot test them or deploy our Windows 7 image on them until I can build a driver package for them in SCCM.  Can you give me an ETA as to when Softpaq Download Manager will be fixed?  Or give me some guidance on how to troubleshoot the tool?  If this will not be fixed any time soon then I will return these 3 eval models to HP.

0 Kudos
RobinC
Level 2
12 12 2 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HisBoyElroy wrote:

I have now wasted an entire afternoon fooling around with HPs lovely Softpaq download manager...  First it forces me to download an updated SoftPaq Download Manager version and run-through the install (it used to work before the updated version).  Then I select our 3 new models and click Download, then after ~45 minutes of waiting I get the useless message, "there were unexpected download problems.  Retry?"

• No indication of what the problem is
  • No pointer to a log file
  • No way to troubleshoot

Just a Retry option...  Guess what happens when I click Retry...  45 more minutes of waiting and the same generic error message.  Google searches yield nothing but other frustrated users.  Does anybody have suggestions for how to troubleshot this?  Is there ANY other option besides going through their website and clicking download on each individual driver for each individual model???

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to HP SoftPaq Download Manager. - Hp Forum Moderator

Hello,

Thank you for contacting HP SoftPaq Download Manager Forum.  We appreciate this opportunity to assist you.

Select "Help" from the main menu and then "Provide Feedback to HP".  This will send an email accompanied by an SDM log file to the SDM Support Team. Once we recieved the log, we will analyze your problem as soon as possible.

It seems you met the same problem as follows.

/t5/HP-SoftPaq-Download-Manager/Softpack-Download-Manager-3-6-0-0-fails-to-...

Here is a workaround for solving your problem.

Use /FORCEHTTP command-line switch to force the SoftPaq Download Manager to use the http: protocol instead of the ftp: protocol. 

/t5/HP-SoftPaq-Download-Manager/FAQ-16-Using-HTTP-protocol-in-SDM/m-p/23669...

We hope this message helpful for you. Thanks

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation