Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Sprocket 200
Android 6.0 - 6.0.1 Marshmallow

About three hours ago, I turned on my Sprocket to edit & print a photo.  The Sprocket app told me there was a firmware update, so I let it load.  Mistake #1

I then selected and edited my photo, and sent it to print.  Twenty minutes later, it still hadn't printed.

Looking at the app, it said it wasn't connecting to the printer.  I checked my bluetooth, and although it was on, it wasn't connecting to the Sprocket.

I then checked the community for solutions.  Mistake #2.

I turned off Bluetooth, turned it back on.  No joy.

I turned off the phone, turned it back on.  No joy.

I turned off the Soricket, turned it back on. No joy.

I did a hard reset on the Sprocket. No joy.

I then uninstalled the Sprocket app.  Mistake # 3.

I then downloaded and tried to reinstall the Sprocket app.  Reinstall failed.  Tried again.  Failed.  Tried a third time, and it finally worked.

I then tried to add my Sprocjet to the app.  But, although it sees the Sprocket - my Sprocket name is listed as a device to select - it connects, but fails to pair, giving me a pop-up window that says  "oops, something went wrong... blah, blah, blah..."

I now have a useless Sprocket.

I have tried all the fixes several times prior to uninstalling - turning off/on phone, turning off/on Sprocket, hard resetting Sprocket, turning off/on bluetooth .

My problem now is I don'the even have a working app, because I can'tell get past the "add Sprocket" step.

HELP!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @HoAnBu,

Try updating the smartphone to the latest version.

Also, Try the steps recommended below.

First, unpair and delete the sprocket app from your smartphone and install the sprocket and app and pair the sprocket again to your smartphone.

You can initiate a factory reset by using the steps below. A factory reset can only be completed when the USB charging cable is NOT connected to the printer.

1. Hold the power button for about 7 seconds total. After 3 seconds, the Status LED light will turn off to indicate the printer
is shutting down; continue to hold the Power button until the LED lights start to flash.
2. Release the power button. The LEDs will continue blinking for about 6 seconds.
3. While the LEDs are blinking, press and release the power button. The device will remain off until you power on again.
4. Power on; the printer will be reset to factoring settings. After a factory reset, all settings are reset to factory defaults
(Custom Name, LED color, Sleep Time, Auto-Off, etc.)
If you decide you do NOT want to reset the printer to factory defaults, you can abandon the reset. While the LEDs are
blinking, do not press the Power button as directed in step three above. This will also cancel the factory reset.
If you want to pair again with your device after a Factory Reset, make sure to also "forget" your device in your operating
system's Paired Devices list. Then, re-pair.

Pair quickly and easily with your HP Sprocket 200 using the in-app setup instructions. On first launch of the sprocket app, select “Setup”. The in-app instructions will help you easily pair with your mobile device within the app. You can also access the setup instructions anytime from the Help & How To menu. When successfully connected, a green dot will appear by “sprocket” in the Main Menu. You can also pair in your operating system menu, as a backup.

For Android™ 1. Press and hold the Power Button until the Status LED Indicator Light turns white when fully powered on.

2. Be sure Bluetooth is turned on for your mobile device or tablet and then open the sprocket app. Select the Main Menu in the upper left-hand corner.

3. Tap sprocket and then Printers to pair your printer with your mobile device or tablet. A pop up message will direct you to Android™ Settings to pair your printer. Select the printer from the list of available devices.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apparently, you didn't bother reading all the troubleshooting I have already done.  Your "canned" response does not help, at all, since I've already done ALL those things, multiple times.  Except for updating my phone - I can only do that once in the span of a couple of hours, and it was done after the first few fails at all the Sprocket 'fixes'.  If I ever get the Sprocket up and running again, I will NEVER, EVER let it do a firmware update, since it is the firmware update that screwed it beyond use.

HP Recommended

@HoAnBu

Thanks for your response. However, you never mentioned that you performed a factory reset in your post.

So I suggested the steps of performing a factory reset and then to pair the device.

If you have done all the troubleshooting steps. You need to contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes - I did mention I did a hard reset.

"I did a hard reset on the Sprocket. No joy."

I also mentioned I tried to pair.

"....it connects, but fails to pair, giving me a pop-up window that says  "oops, something went wrong... blah, blah, blah..."

I also mentioned that I tried every troubleshooting idea several times - 

"I have tried all the fixes several times prior to uninstalling - turning off/on phone, turning off/on Sprocket, hard resetting Sprocket, turning off/on bluetooth."

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

@HoAnBu,

Thanks for responding again.

There is a difference between a hard reset and a factory reset on the printer.

Factory Reset: Factory resets are generally done to remove the data entirely from a device, the device is to be started again and requires the need of re-installation of the software. The factory reset makes the device function again in a new form. It cleans the entire system of the device. It is probably done at the time of updating to a new version of the device's software.

Hard Reset: When a device does not function properly, it means the setting in the device needs to be changed, so only that part of the device is reset, or rebooted in the hard reset. It clears all the memory associated with the hardware and updates the hardware with the latest updated version. After the hard reset, the CPU or the processor restarts the application.

However, as I mentioned in my previous post. It sounds like a printer issue. 

Please contact HP support for service options.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The same thing is happening to me. Did your problem get resolved? 

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the exact same issue. Out of the box sprocket paired easily and I managed to print my first photo. Then the prompt for firmware update. So I updated my firmware. Right after that I am unable to pair with my printer. I even tried a different mobile to pair up but it could not detect the printer even though it is on.

I have also tried all the steps suggested. Printer is not detectable by any device even though it is on a fully charged.

Guess I have to return it for an exchange. And maybe HP should remove that firmware update totally.

HP Recommended

I had to unpair the Sprocket, and remove the app.  I had to do that several times.  Eventually, after the third or fourth time I deleted the app from my phone, and reloaded it, it finally paired correctly.  However, it never really fixed the problem, because about every third or fourth time I use the Sprocket, I have to go through all of that again.  What should be a two minute job of printing one photo, ends up being a two hour job of repeatedly trying to pair the Sprocket, deleting the app from my phone, re-downloading the app, trying to re-pair the Sprocket, rinse, repeat two or three more times.  I am now at the point where I haven't actually even bothered printing a photo on the Sprocket for several months.  It's actually easier to just toss the photo in dropbox from my phone, then print a paper copy from my computer, and use that in my journal.  Sad, really.

HP Recommended

After everything, I thought of reading the pdf manual on the product. I found that the Hard Reset button was illustrated and realised that I was not pressing the correct one.

I followed the instructions again and it worked!! I'm back to printing now and all seems stable. Sorry if it still doesn't work for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.