Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Example: Envy 7855 all in one

Purchased Jan 12, 2021  Recently started making a squeaking noise when it's starting to print, and then when it's recovering to starting position. Tried all the stuff on virtual chat, and can not get any help. It's a new unit. I also purchased the same one for my daughter back in August of 2020, and she says that hers makes a little bit of noise when it;s printing. Please help, Ive been an HP fan for over 40 years, and this is not my first HP product.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jeepguy53

Welcome to the HP support community.

Check for obstructions in the carriage path

Remove any loose paper or obstructions that might be blocking the carriage path.

1. Turn off the printer, and then disconnect the power cord.

2. Open the cartridge access door to get to the carriage inside the printer.

EXAMPLES OF A CARTRIDGE ACCESS DOOR

Examples of printer door locations
  3. Look for and remove any obstructions in the carriage path, such as crumpled paper or dislodged labels.

EXAMPLE OF A PRINTER WITH AN OBSTRUCTION IN THE CARRIAGE PATH

Example of a printer with paper debris in the carriage path
  4. If the carriage is not locked in place, move it to each side, removing any obstructions blocking its path.
  5. CAUTION: 

Do not force the carriage to move if it is locked or stuck. This can damage the printer.

6. Close the printer door.

7. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: 

HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

(Note:- Though the title of this document is different, these steps should fix the issue)

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, but many options have been tried, Removing and reinstalling the ink cartridges, unplugging the printer, etc. it stopped making noise while I was on with a tech person, then the next day it started to squeak again, but not so loudly and not while printing, but as the printer starts to get set to print, and then when the carriage returns to reset.

HP Recommended

@jeepguy53

This might require one on one interaction to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.