Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Sprocket Photo Printer
Other

I have bought three Sprockets!  But all prints are always very dark, much darker than the real picture.  Whether I use an Iphone, a Samsung or a Huawei, Android Oreo  Always very dark, too dark. Never the same as the orginal picture. Terrible!  

What can be done?  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Arthur57

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that the prints from your Sprockets are all dark.

I'd like to help.

I suggest you try upgrading the Sprocket Firmware.

1. Make sure the printer is on and your mobile device is connected to the Internet.

2. On your mobile device, open the HP sprocket app.

3. Tap the Menu icon , and then tap sprocket.

4. Tap Printers, and then tap your printer in the list.

The printer information screen displays.

5. Look for a firmware upgrade.

• If a firmware upgrade displays, tap Get Firmware Upgrade and then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.

• If a firmware upgrade option does not display, the printer firmware is up-to-date. Continue to the next step.

6. After upgrading the printer firmware, try to print.

If the issue persists clean the output Rollers.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Remove the top cover by sliding it away from the output slot, and then set it aside.

1. Slide the top cover

2. Remove the top cover

3. Remove any photo paper from the input tray, and then make sure the photo paper is in good condition. Remove any severely bent, wrinkled, or torn photo paper from the stack.

Reload the HP Sprocket Photo Paper with the blue Smartsheet®. Make sure the blue Smartsheet® is on the bottom of the stack with the bar-code facing down, and the HP Sprocket Photo Paper with the HP logos facing down.

NOTE:Keep the Smartsheet® until you are done with all 10 sheets, and then discard it.

Figure : Loading Smartsheet with the photo paper

Loading Smartsheet with the photo paper

1. Align the top cover with the tracks on the outside of the printer, and then slide the top cover toward the output slot until it is firmly seated.

Figure : Closing the top cover

1. Align the top cover

2. Slide the top cover

2. Turn on the printer, and then resend the print job.

The printer calibrates and cleans the output rollers with the blue Smartsheet®, and then prints the photo.

You can also follow the instructions in this Link

If none of those work, please do a Printer Reset on your Sprockets.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Locate the reset button near the charging port.

Figure : Locating the reset button

Locating the reset button
  3. Gently insert the straight pin into the reset button access point, and then press the reset button for 3 seconds.

The printer resets and turns off.

4. Turn on the printer.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Solution Accepted and Kudos Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thynk you for your suggestion. All this has been done sevaral times on all Sprockets and I do have the latest firmware.  Some friends of mine also have Sprockets and they are all having the sames issues: photos print TOO dark!!  This seems to be a general problem with the Sprocket.  Perhaps an firmware update could solve this problem?  

Thank you,

Arthur 

HP Recommended

Hi @Arthur57

Please ensure the images have a minimum resolution of 818 x 1258 pixels per inch (ppi) for optimal print quality. Screen-captured images from your mobile device might not have sufficient resolution for optimal print quality. 

If the issue persists, I would request you to contact our Technical Phone Support.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Of course, I print only very good quality pictures taken by my Huawei Mate 10 Pro or my Samsung S8!!   And my son has printed from his Iphone X.......  

But the issue is not with one Sprocket.... It is with all the three Sprockets I have....  

HP Recommended

Hi @Arthur57

I understand that the issue persists and I understand your frustrations.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product Serial Number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Thank you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Solution Accepted and Kudos Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, I have the same problem with my Sprocket and I was interested if your problem has solved. I have tried what the HP agent said but the photos are still darker and the print quality is not as good as some reviews.

Thank you
HP Recommended

No, still no answer, and no  "private" message from HP yet.......  Some friends who have a Sprocket have the same problem!  I have not spoken to anybody yet who has nice pictures!   Very disappointing.  

HP Recommended
I have the same problem, the link for service says that HP doesn’t support the product (sprocket printer) anymore. I bought it a month ago! Pretty weird I think.
HP Recommended

Got the sproket plus and find the printout is darker and yellowish compared to original photo on phone

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.