Level 1
9 4 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Additional Apps/Programs

HP Recommended
HP Sprout
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own the original Sprout and have downloaded pretty much every app that was listed on the Marketplace. (most of them are pretty useless) However, do any of you know of other apps/programs that will work with the original Sprout and utilize it's features, touchmat etc.?  I find I hardly use my Sprout for its workspace features, I pretty much use it as a regular computer and even then hardly at all.  As a side-note they should have never released this first Sprout, way under powered and too limited. I'm sorry I bought it, I should have waited.  Did they use us as guinea pigs? I did upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
jimsprout
Level 4
73 49 1 33
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, back to work here with just a few thoughts.  It might be useful if you mentioned what sort of tasks you  perform.

I think the touch mat may be the best feature of the Sprout.  I have set up some Windows programs to run on the touch mat.  Okay, Solitaire and CNET may not be a big deal, but I like pushing the cards around on the mat, and I like CNET's side scrolling, Windows 8 style, app.  The video editing app(Power Director) that got hurried onto Sprout was half baked, but the Windows version works pretty well.  The key thing here is to know how to move stuff to the Mat.  Most apps don't fit, but you can cobble stuff up well enough to work.  The Mat is like a big tablet.

Somewhat related, HP has a third screen support feature that lets you use another monitor as a display for the Sprout cameras and mat, in addition to just using it as an extended screen for the main desktop screen.  I find this handy for spreading Edge screens or documents around.  The only problem right now is that the recent Windows Fall Creators update caused the return of a problem wherein the second monitors touch runs the main monitor.  I filxed this about a year ago, and I don't remember how.

The Sprout Scan app has OCR capability and the OCR translated scan can be saved to an .rtf file and used in Microsoft Word.  (The Word 2013 version had an add-in to handle scans directly from Sprout, but my Word 2016 does not have that feature, plus Word 2013 version has disappeared.  Another sad Sprout tale.)

If you are interested in image capture, 3-d models, graphic ontent creation, etc., Sprout may serve best as a source for other Windows app.  Sprout 3d snapshot captures can be saved as .obj files and used in other Widnows 3d apps.  Microsoft has provided a lot of stuff that sort of undercuts the Sprout apps, but, again, Sprout can serve as an able generator for those apps.  Conversely , some of the 3d images and samples in other Windows programs can be used in Sprout apps.  

Sprouts Create app doesn't seem ot allow importing Windows files, but is does allow you to take a screen caputure and place it in your Sprout  creation.  

When Sprout first came out, I used the Sprout "Collaborate" feature to have a dialog with another computer.  I don't know if that still works, or if they started charging the useful fees for the service.  You don't need Sprout for the service, but the Sprout version allowed you have a collaborative edit of a Sprout document.  Worth revisiting.

That's enough for now.  How do you use Sprout in a Sprout-centric way?

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation