Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone. I'm sorry to have to be here again.  I was just using my Sprout workspace a couple of months ago. But today when i went to use it and it didn't work, I went to the HP website as I usually do and ownloaded the most recent updates, drivers, audio package yadda yadda yadda -  (all the new sotware and drivers sine January 2017) for my sprout  - the original version - not the "pro," i still could not get the workspace to open.  I kept getting the message to restart the program. I restarted it - no go.  Then i restarted the machine a couple of times.  Nope!  I ran the diagnostic program.  All systems go but no workspace.  (sigh).  I also got a message that it wouldn't open because "Sproutservice."  I found 'sprout service" that i apparently downloaded  in January but when i clicked on it to 'run/open' it, it said that i couldn't use it because HP.PC.Log>dll was missing rom my computer. It said i should download it again and try again.  But where do i download that from. I don't see it on the HP website. 

I'm frustrated.  Wasted 3 hours now on this when I could have been productive. 

Something tells me this is an easy fix; but, my brain won't solve the puzzle.  

Can somebody help?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I actually went back to my posts from last month when I couldnt get the workspace to work and tried to update but the REPLY option has been removed....

I do have mine working again but you will not like the fix.

After trying everything (as noted in earlier posts on this subject) I paid the 50.00 activation fee and monthly fee to do the "Smart Friend" service.  My Sprout was about a month out of warranty mind you.  Anyway - I worked hours with someone in the states trying every conceiveable fix - then over that weekend worked with a gentleman in India who had different options to try.   Both individuals were very nice and tried to assist.  The Sprout is a specialized product so even their tech folks haven't had much if any experience with it, in particular.  In the end I had to restore it.  Luckily, I had recently gotten a new laptop and wasn't using Sprout as my primary pc so it wasn't an issue.  I would suggest anyone with this ongoing problem copy their docs and photos to an external hd or a different pc then restore.  Part of the problem with mine (I think) is that it was prob a windows 8 build and was upgraded to 10 either at factory or at some point before purchase as  there were residual files that were causing issue which meant I had ongoing problems with it.  Once I restored it - although I haven't had to use it too often - I haven't had the problem again.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Hi Mombo-T! 

Thanks for your response.  You are absolutely correct! I do not like that fix very much.  But what can I do?  I'm preparing my 'back up' discs now so I can do a recovery.  I don't really know what the heck i'm doing!  o_O   Anyway, i'll figure it out.  I'll come back and let everyone know how i made out.  

Thanks again, 

HP Recommended

how did you make out?  curious as I'm dealing with the same / similar problems and symptoms on mine as well.  

Can someone from HP Support let us know if this thing will ever be fixed to work with the latest version of Windows 10 Creators Edition?  I'd like to get this thing working eventually but it has been a constant hassle since I got it to make everything work correctly while using it for my preferred purposes.  I don't think I should have to pay for extra PC support just because this product isn't under warranty any longer...  

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Alex...Hi Everybody, 

I did not finish updating my machinenyet. I made all the back up discs and I found two guides for users and maintenance on line which I printed out; but, I haven't had a chance to go through them completey. I hope to finish this process by the end of the week.  I keep getting messages that I should not change Sprout settings through the control panel - only through the Sprout workspace - but I can't get into the workspace because apparently my "Sprout Service" is not working.  I tried turning the Sprout Service off and then on again in the task manager but it's not working.  I will finish this reinstallation, etc. process up this week and leave word. Sorry to be taking so long. I really do want to do some projects on my Sprout also.  I'm sure we can get this going without paying more money.  At least i hope so! ^.^

HP Recommended

It would be really nice if HP would let us know how to fix this. Mine worked until a windows update and I have not been able to use it since. Paid all this money for it to sit on a desk and not work!! Not thrilled about HP's Support at all. They sure do not stand behind their products. And this was not a cheap computer. You would think that someone at HP would have a fix for this by now!! HELP!!

HP Recommended

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY. 

For everyone who paid an arm and a leg for this expensive machine, it feels like a slap in the face for you to not do what you need to do to support it correctly and make it WORK.  

I bet the new Sprout Pro works just fine, and I'm sitting here with a 40 pound paperweight, so how about you just send everyone who has one of these original Sprout computers a brand new Sprout Pro as a replacement?  Not everyone has thousands of dollars laying around to support your research into experimental computers that don't actually WORK, just so you can take the mistakes you made on the original version and use what you learned to make a new version now that really is what this computer should have been in the first place.

This really grinds my gears.

HP Recommended

Wait a cotton pickin' minute!  

So I am not an engineer -not even a computer geek; but, I am a puzzle lover and solver.  So, it keeps coming to my mind, (before I have to reset this whole thing - and all that entails), that we ought to be able to do as we do with any other computer - uninstall the software that is not working and reinstall it from the company webpage.  I have done that at least 50 times (probably more) with other products.  What makes the Sprout workspace so drastically different?  Anyway, how much damage can I do by trying that?  If i really mess up the machine, then I can use these back up discs I made last week, right?  I'm so sure that when we figure out how simple this was to fix, we're going to be like Rosannadana"  "Uh..Oh! Nevermind."  

Update - Caution:  Thinking about this idea more, and looking at the support page for Sprout, I don't think this idea would work without using the backup ' reinstall' discs or the software they have on line which would (i believe) still require that all software on my machine be reinstalled - and that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.  So, scratch that idea.

There is another reason why I hesitate to uninstall from the control panel.  I recall seeing a message from Sprout saying not to make any changes to the workspace settings, etc using the control panel.  There simply HAS to be another way to get the HP Sprout workspace working again if everything else is functioning and the machine confirms that all drivers and components of the machine are functioning properly.  

What else could it possibly be? Could it be a BIOS issue?  I even went snooping around in there today and although there are many options to look and see if things are in order, there is not one that covers the work space.  Also, one last thing - when i put in my serial number to see what updates are available - the response does not say "HP Sprout," it only says "All-in-One."  Sure, Sprout is an all in one; but, if i am getting updates that are not specifically for Sprout - but for some other type of "all in one" by HP that doesn't have a 'workspace," could that be the reason i'm missing somehing to make the workspace run?  And now that I know that BIOS shows no settings for a 'workspace' but for every other part of the computer, could that be a clue that i'm not getting the proper updates for HP Sprout - but for an HP All in one of some other sort?

What do you think?

Alright, that's all I've got. Have a good weekend everyone. 

HP Recommended
Guys - I agree it was something with the update but I sure wasted a lot of time trying not to restore it... only to have to restore it. Back it up then restore it. At least you didn't sign up for the service like I did. Just don't keep anything important on there. You are right Alex - it is a 40lh paperweight. Lol.
So far I haven't had additional issues since the restore.
HP Recommended

Mombo-T

I hear you.  Okaaaaaaayyyy!  A reinstall.   Oy vey!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.