Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spout
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I own an HP Sprout computer. Using the touchscreen, I swiped left giving me some options such as night hours. As I was going to lower the brightness, I accidentally clicked another option having to do with the different screens (I cannot recall the exact name). After clicking on this option my screen display went black. My mouse and keyboard are working, the power botton is on and I am able to hear the usual fan noise but my screen display remains black. I've yet to own this computer longer than four monts.

Thank you and I hope you can help resolve the problem as soon as possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. Here  is a method you can try to either Refresh your system or get in to System Restore, from a cold start up.

1. Try powering down your computer ( if you cannot otherwise shutdown, you will likely need to press and hold the power button until the system powers off).

2. Wait for about 15 - 20 seconds for the internal hardware to stop spinning. Disconnect any external device other than the keyboard, mouse and power cord. 

3. Then power on the computer and then repeatedly press the F11 key about once a second, until the Choose your keyboard layout screen appears.

4 . Click to select your keyboard layout.

5 .The Choose an Option screen should come up at this time. Click Troubleshoot.

6. On the screen that comes up you can try using the Refresh your PC option, or select Advanced Options.  If you choose to try a refresh first and it does not help with the next start up, then repeat steps 1 - 5 and in this step, select Advanced Options this time. If the Refresh did work then you are done, skip the remaining steps.

7. From the Advanced Options, select System Restore, and use a restore point from before the change was made.

If neither of these methods worked for you, or you are unable to access the menus using the F11 key on a cold start up, then you should contact phone support. Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there @ValentinaGomez,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you made an accidental change to your display settings. I am happy to help with this.

As the display is blank once your computer starts up, at least from your description, I would like you to see if you can get into Safe mode on start up. HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎. If you can, then you should be able to try using System restore to go back to a restore point from before the change was made. HP PCs - Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know how that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended
Hi Malygris1
This solution would not work since I cannot reach the start button to enter Safe mode. The screen is completely blank and will not show anything! After doing some research I have reason to believe that I have pressed the "project" button. I would like to know if there is any way that I can exit this mode using my keyboard since the Sprout does not have somewhere to connect a projector or another screen.

Thank you!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. Here  is a method you can try to either Refresh your system or get in to System Restore, from a cold start up.

1. Try powering down your computer ( if you cannot otherwise shutdown, you will likely need to press and hold the power button until the system powers off).

2. Wait for about 15 - 20 seconds for the internal hardware to stop spinning. Disconnect any external device other than the keyboard, mouse and power cord. 

3. Then power on the computer and then repeatedly press the F11 key about once a second, until the Choose your keyboard layout screen appears.

4 . Click to select your keyboard layout.

5 .The Choose an Option screen should come up at this time. Click Troubleshoot.

6. On the screen that comes up you can try using the Refresh your PC option, or select Advanced Options.  If you choose to try a refresh first and it does not help with the next start up, then repeat steps 1 - 5 and in this step, select Advanced Options this time. If the Refresh did work then you are done, skip the remaining steps.

7. From the Advanced Options, select System Restore, and use a restore point from before the change was made.

If neither of these methods worked for you, or you are unable to access the menus using the F11 key on a cold start up, then you should contact phone support. Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I tried this as soon as possible and it worked! Thank you so much!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.