Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Sprout Pro G2

Just purchased a reconditioned Sprout Pro G2 and am starting to regret it. I have a week to return it to the supplier before I am stuck with it, and I'm thinking about sending it back.

The included 3D scan function appears to be not fit for purpose. 3D Camera app cannot scan anything that's even the slightest bit shiny, that's uniform in shape, that's completely black or completely white, that has any translucant aspects or that is 3 inches or less in any dimension - rulling out a huge variety of object one might wish to scan - rocks, flowers, toys, you name it. The hugely complicated alternative app, HP 3D Scan Pro v5, appear incapable of giving usable results without the 3D Capture Stage, which HP appears to have discontinued. And it appears to have the same restrictions as 3D Camera.

On top of this, the editing functions of both the 2d and 3d capture software, and the "Stage" app are incredibly limited - beyond rotating, scaling, colour/brightness adjustments and the hit-and-miss auto background removal functions, your hands are tied. For example, to try and get around the 3x3x3 scanning restriction, I included my hand in a scan. But there seems to be no way of removing that part of the image afterwards. Even with 2d images, there's no way to select parts of an image for editing/removal - it's the whole image or nothing.

I understand that the original Sprout's 3d software was much more functional - but frustratingly, there appears to be no way to access this software on the G2.

I called HP support twice and was cut off twice. So if anyone has any tips to help me overcome these issues, I would be very grateful. Otherwise, I fear my brief time with the Sprout is coming to an end...

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Quick update - just received a message from HO Support saying that the Workspace software for the original Sprout should be compatible with G2. Ill test this later and report back - over a hundred views of this message already so maybe there are people out there interested.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: After being initially told by HP Support that the Workspace software from Sprout G1 will work on G2, I've now establised conclusively (I think) that this is not in fact possible.  Which is a huge shame, as the G2 2d capture app is a massive downgrade from the G1 app, which from what I understand is able to scan and crop multiple objects in one go, unlike G2 which treats multiple objects as a single scan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.