Level 2
23 17 1 3
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sprout not compatible with Win 10 1709?

23-S010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgraded my Sprout by HP 23-S010 to Windows 10 Pro build 1709 (Fall Creators update). 

Now, the touchmat, and projector won’t operate (turn on); the Sprout Workspace won’t open and no Sprout updates from HP Support install successfully. In fact, one of those updates uninstalled the Workspace entirely.

I tried the repair option to reinstall the Sprout platform in the add/remove programs list with no success. Also, I tried reinstalling the Sprout drivers/ software suite from the recovery partition with no success despite getting no errors during those installs.

My Sprout was preloaded with Windows 8.1, which I may return to if the current versions of Windows 10 are not compatible with my Sprout.  But I would like to know if anyone with this model Sprout has the Fall Creators Update with the Workspace fully functional?

Sent from somewhere in Arizona!!

If I have helped you, be sure to marking my answer as solved.
And feel free to send me some kudos!!
6 REPLIES 6
Level 3 love2train
Level 3
33 33 2 7
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've check the table for tested PCs for Windows 10 1709 version and am not seeing this model.  I would suggest that you stay with Windows 8 for full functionality.

Here is the link to the tested PCs if you would like to check it out:    Windows 10 Tested PCs

Have a good day.

I'm an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Level 4 help88
Level 4
59 57 3 13
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you try to use the softpaq from the Sofware & Driver web site?  here's the link;

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/sprout-by-hp/7471144

Under the Software-Solutions

Please download:

Sprout Pro Workspace Update

system software Manager Icon
1.5.8.2461 Rev.A2014.0 MBNov 3, 2017

Please let me know if this works. 

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Level 2 DMilford
Level 2
23 23 0 1
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the Sprout is very finicky with regards to OS and driver/software versions. The reason is the Sprout software is so customized, and interacts with so much custom hardware. This model Sprout is classified as a consumer system, so it was not designed to run Win 10 pro, though I am not sure if that is what is causing the problem or not? This model should be able to run Win 8.1 or Win 10 home just fine.

The latest version of workspace that we have is made for Win 10 only, it will not work on Win 8. If you rolled back to Win 8 (not advised), then you would need to use an older version of workspace that was made for it. At this point, I'm not sure exactly what caused the problems that you are describing, so I would follow best-practices to get it all back up and running. I would reimage from scratch using the HP win 8 image, then install all windows updates and HP updates, then upgrade to Win 10 and update to the latest version of workspace. Then install windows updates, but only ones that come down automatically. Physically unplugging the mat during all this can sometimes help. I know it is a long procedure, but that is the guaranteed way to get the OS and software running correctly. You also might want to run HP hardware diagnostics first to make sure the hardware is in good shape.

Some things to keep in mind: 1) Never sign up for the Microsoft insider's program on a specialized system like this, you want to stay on the standard Windows release program only.

2) Do not upgrade to a different version of the OS (for example Win 10 pro) unless it is a standard update that comes down from Microsoft. On standard desktops you can often get multiple OS versions to work fine and you can customize it however you like. But, on specialized systems like the sprout you need to run HP-proprietary software designed just for the system, so you want to keep everything as standard as possible.

0 Kudos
graypath
2 1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the 23-s010 Sprout and have been using Windows 10 since it was released with full functionality as far as I can see. At some point after a Windows update the virtual keyboard failed to display on the touchmat. No updates from HP addressed this problem. Based on a work-around that I found elsewhere on this forum for touchscreen tablets I resolved the issue by turning on the accessibility on-screen keyboard from Control Panel, which is actually more robust and functional than the original, and pinned the icon to the taskbar. Now I use the taskbar icon instead of the keyboard button to display or hide the keyboard. In order to get the keyboard onto the touchmat it is necessary to allow the mouse cursor to extend to the touchmat in Workspace Settings. I recently had an OS failure and had to recover the PC back to its original state (Windows 8.1). The original touchmat keyboard was back, so it really seems to be a Win10 issue. This time I upgraded to Win 10 Pro 1709 by purchasing a license key and downloading the OS directly from Microsoft, installed the drivers and software recommended by the latest version of HPSupport Assistant, including the latest version of Workspace, and everything seems to work (cameras, projector, touchmat) as before with the previous Win10 version. Touchmat keyboard is gone again, but the previous solution works fine as before.

0 Kudos
George_B
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey guys, I've go an aftermarket 23-s010 with Win 10 installed. None of the additional functionality works. I'd love to reinstall everything from scratch but I don't have the recovery disks. The whole idea was to use it's creativity functions in kids projects. If you can share an image of your I'd be eternally grateful. Alternatively, please share if you know how I can make Win 10 work without upgrading from the original state. Many many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3 Dmaster19
Level 3
41 40 3 3
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sprout works with the latest versions of Windows up to 19H2. Please make sure to update all from Windows Update and use the latest Workspace version as listed above and on the HP support site. This applies to both clean Windows install and units with HP image. A system recovery is included via Recovery Manager to revert all settings from the factory which is guaranteed working.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation