Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

getting a black box popping up centre screen : "HP Display Control - Warning - HP Display Control Service needs to  be updated. Please update using the link below. https:www.portrait.com/dtune/hps/enu/index.html

This is getting annoying and is relatively a new desktop. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this message.

I downloaded the link after some research - hope that I have not done the wrong thing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the responses - I contacted HP Support on and they checked out the web site that it was linked to and advised that it was ok BUT it was a third party and the app had been added HP Display Control which is not normal. They uninstalled the program and also uninstalled the APP.- so there were two components causing the pop-ups..As there were multiple logins on this computer the uninstalling was done for each users log in for the app. Thanks to all and also HP Support who were most helpful. Cheers...........

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Before the pop up showed up, I had just turned my pc on and only got a greenish black screen.  After restarting, the warning message showed up. Also the taskbar has disappeared. I clicked the link, but then closed the window because this doesn't seem legit to me. I have HP Spectre x360 late 2019, only a couple of weeks old.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found out if this is legit? Same thing popping up on screen right after start-up. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am getting the same popup box. I too have an X360 Late 2019 model. As you have mentioned the URL doesn't look legit. 

Regards

HP Recommended

I called HP support and they confirmed that it's a real update and the link is safe despite the weird look of it. I downloaded it and all's good.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the responses - I contacted HP Support on and they checked out the web site that it was linked to and advised that it was ok BUT it was a third party and the app had been added HP Display Control which is not normal. They uninstalled the program and also uninstalled the APP.- so there were two components causing the pop-ups..As there were multiple logins on this computer the uninstalling was done for each users log in for the app. Thanks to all and also HP Support who were most helpful. Cheers...........

HP Recommended

What exactly did you do?  Did you go to the website and if so what then.

HP Recommended

For me, the pop up came right after start up. I checked HP Support Assistance to see if any notifications that I needed to update and there were none. Showed everything up to date. I haven't downloaded it.

HP Recommended

contacted HP during business hours (remembering my PC is under warranty) and they respond with a number to call and they talk and remote into your machine and assist,

HP Recommended

if you get that pop up - type "HP Display Control"  and it will show the APP  - uninstall the APP it is not one of HP's and that pop-up should  not recur.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.