Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
spectre 360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a HP spectre 360 laptop that began playing music right when I turned it on for the first time. It plays on and off randomly. This same problem exists on my HP desktop that I bought earlier this year. I can't seem to get to an HP representative who can help. I get diverted to a tech company that wants me to pay money to "fix" it. Does anyone know what this could be? It will even play over other music and movies. I can't do anything on my laptop that requires sound because this will play over it

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@JazzKat,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I see from your post you are having issues with your new HP notebook. No worries, I'll be glad to you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Does it happen only while playing music from the internet or from any music downloaded from your PC.

Do you have any Anti-Virus program installed on your PC? If so, Have you tried to run a complete scan on your PC.

What happens when you try to mute. 

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the Notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.

In Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. Make sure to include the space between sfc and the /.

Press Enter and wait while System File Checker scans for corrupted files.

When scanning is complete, the results are displayed on the screen.

If the file checker found and replaced any corrupted files, restart the computer and check the performance.

If the file checker did not find any corrupted files or found corrupted files but could not replace them, go to the next step.

If System File Checker finds corrupted files but cannot replace them, use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. DISM checks the corrupted files; then downloads and replaces the files using Windows Update.

In Windows, open a web browser.

NOTE:

You need to be connected to the Internet to use DISM.

In Windows, search for Command Prompt. In the search results, right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Then click Yes.

In Command Prompt, type dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Make sure to include the space before each / in the command line.

Press Enter and wait while DISM works. This might take several minutes.

If DISM finds corrupted files, it replaces them using Windows Update. If this occurs, after DISM is finished, restart your computer and see if the performance has improved.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to run a complete scan on your PC.  Depending on the test results, I would suspect that your PC is infected by virus.

So the only option would be to perform a system recovery using the recovery media, to know more on how to obtain the recovery media for your PC: Click here

I will share you a private message with details on how to obtain a recovery media for your PC. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Sorry for the typos on my previous reply. I tried the hard reset... It didn't work. I will try the other things you mentioned.  I had a recording of the music but don't think I can attach it here.
Thank you

HP Recommended

I am posting this since I didn't send correctly the first time. Thank you for your reply. I can try the things you mentioned but let me give you details.

I bought the new HP spectre360 laptop and when I powered it up for the very first time (no internet connection), music (almost like an alert maybe?) began to play and would proceed to intermittently play, but also at random intervals. I have to mute the sound to not hear it. I can hear play over videos.

What is interesting is the same thing happened when I bought an HP tower with windows 10. At that time I had it connect to a smart tv I used as a monitor. I thought it had something to do with that.

But it has to be something specific to So the HP or Windows.

I installed McAfee shortly after purchase.

HP Recommended

@JazzKat,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly I see that there seems to be an issue with the computer, I would recommend you go ahead and perform a system recovery using the recovery media, the only reason why I suggest you do that is because it looks like your PC is either infected by virus. 

Please follow the instructions from the previous post to order a set of recovery media for your PC.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  Although I didn't get the recovery media, I went to the recovery manager on my computer and did a reset of my computer.. The step that reloads windows (short of doing a full factory reset) and it worked!  After that I noticed (in my start menu) there were several apps not downloaded (showed the download arrow only as if it woould eventually download them).  It made me think the random music I heard was associated with one of these apps.  I plan do repeat this process with my desktop computer.  Hopefully it will work as well.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@JazzKat

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad.

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.  i have since discovered that my office suite that i purchased did not carry over with the reset. 

Microsoft® Office 2016 Home and Business is what i had purchased.  But the app account information on my computer says i have office home and student 2013 that was installed in april of 2015.  how can i fix this and get the correct version i paid for?

HP Recommended

@JazzKat

Since you have purchased the full version of Microsoft Office, I would request you to contact Microsoft and they will help you get the correct MS Office version which you purchased

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  after looking at some of their posts, they will want me to provide the product key.  I don't seem to have that information.  My receipt from HP only lists that I bought MS office with no product key information.   I will contact them.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.