Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5095 225 561
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ALERT: Google account sync broken on webOS devices (and a fix)

MUST READING FOR webOS USERS WHO SYNC CONTACTS WITH GOOGLE ACCOUNTS:

Earlier this week I began having trouble with my Pre3.  It spontaneously restarted and pretty much wiped everything.  After logging back in to my webOS account, I then began having trouble logging in to my several Google accounts.  Each time, I got either an "unknown error" message or a message that my credentials were incorrect.

A very clever webOS developer (consider throwing him some bones if you use his patch...see below) figured out that Google changes to https (whatever that means) were the culprit.  I don't understand enough of the jargon to explain it, but the issue seems to effect Google accounts (primarily contacts) which are newly added to a device or re-added after a reset or doctoring your device, more so than accounts that are already on your device.

However, even if your existing gmail and calendar accounts still sync, you are strongly advised to check...Google contact sync is probably broken and you might not realize it.  In this condition, contacts which are newly added directly on device will not sync to google servers for backup and syncing with other devices you might have, unless you install the patch below.

I can vouch for that.  I had added several new contacts directly on the phone during the past week, but after this week's fun & games, I found that none of the newly added contacts had ever synced to my online Google contacts, which means they didn't sync back down from google's servers onto my other devices.

SO...GO HERE NOW:  The patch which is discussed in this linked article on webOS Nation has definitely fixed the sync problem on my Pre3.  It requires the use of webOS Quick Install.    While you're at it, install Preware using webOS Quick Install, and expand the usability and speed of your webOS device. Then install a Preware app called Internlz Pro which is installed with Preware.  Then you email the patch to yourself, click on the attachment, and Internalz Pro installs directly without having to connect to your computer.  

Please post back in this thread if this issue has effected your phone or tablet, and if you have any problems installing the patch.  I haven't used webOS Quick Install in a long time so I had to figure it out from scratch.  I install from a MacBook and it works just fine.  There is also an on-device option called Internlz Pro which is installed with Preware directly on the phone...you email the ptch to yourself and Internalz Pro will install it.  

HP/Palm had given its support to the webOS Homebrew Community, so let's use this information here to keep these devices healthy.  You will find much more detailed informatio in the forum linked above where the patch is located, and how to get webOS Quick Install and PreWare downloads.

I'll also use this experience as a plug for PreWare and the really selfless developers who support our favorite OS and catch stuff like this when it happens, and turn around a patch in a day or two so that the community can benefit..  There are tons of improvements just waiting there for your webOS devices.  Tweaks.  Patches.  Enhancements of all sorts to make your webOS device run faster and jump higher.  All free, robust, and ready to keep webOS cool and relevant for many more years, for a lot of users.

No particular skills or knowledge are needed to take advantage of PreWare.  The directions are very simple.  You already have the hardware.  This experience shows me that the webOS homebrew community still has some dedicated and pretty darned skilled developers at work for the sheer joy and pride (and a few $$ should someone toss them a few) of keeping their...our...beloved webOS alive.

6 REPLIES
organbear2 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for that fix. I rely on Google calendar and contacts. You saved my beloved Palm device. I also use Yahoo mail and have not been able to sync that for a long time. Any chance of a similar patch to get Yahoo syncing again?

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5095 225 561
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad that patch worked for you.

As for Yahoo mail, it used to be that free Yahoo email accounts wouldn't work but paid accounts would.  I don't use it so dont have direct experience.  This discussion at webOS Nation discusses a work-around which you could try.

gholst Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you soooooo much for the direction to the fix.  Worked on both my phone and TP.  I thought I was going to have to get rid of them but finally someone made them work.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
5095 225 561
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gholst wrote:

Thank you soooooo much for the direction to the fix.  Worked on both my phone and TP.  I thought I was going to have to get rid of them but finally someone made them work.

Awesome...very happy to help others keep these wonderful devices working.  The developers who are hanging in to keep bringing us updates and new functionality are the ones who really deserve our thanks.  I wish I knew how to do what they do.

MartinHAT Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@smkranz wrote:

@gholst wrote:

Awesome...very happy to help others keep these wonderful devices working.  The developers who are hanging in to keep bringing us updates and new functionality are the ones who really deserve our thanks.  I wish I knew how to do what they do.

Thanks for posting this solution here. It appears that the community is better support the HP webos devices than HP does support them.

Unfortunately HP has not yet released any official fix to overcome this general problem after Google and others have modified their API. Luckily the HP webOS devices are often easy to fix yourself if you know how.

For details read the webosnation threads and patch source and the you might be able to fix such items yourself.

Regards, Martin

0 Kudos
chehi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Man I'm no computer guy but my note book,a hp-2000wm329 has crashed and my android ZTE has gone crazy. As you described it is exactly with both products. I can't get my phone to reset or the computer to release the admin rights. Can you help
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation