cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sc077
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

About to try exiting EXAM MODE with a .45

HP Recommended
Prime
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Mashed the wrong button at the wrong time while in the sttings menu, and now im stuck in exam mode. USB will charge the **bleep** thing but will not unlock, No number of different cables, or PCs, or tablets, or phones, or my **bleep** external storage system will detect it or cause it to exit even with USB tests in the diagnostic mode. reseting does nothing; restoring to factory does nothing; letting the battery die does nothing; letting the "timer" (which is obviously not set) expire does nothing; throwing the fracking thing against the wall... probably just lost me my security depost.

And of course, support on this thing expired MONTHS ago. Please help me fix it before youtube gets another episode of Does it Blend?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does it show in the connkit? If it is charging, it should I'd think.

Open a new exam mode on the connkit. While the exam mode editor is open, click the send button. Then click the stop button. Should be out. I've never yet seen a unit that isn't able to get out with this.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, sc077:

Welcome, to Forum !.

See, this link ... http://www.hpcc.org/calculators/hpprime/WP_ExamMode.pdf

And ... http://www.hp.com/united-states/ExamMode_Whitepaper.pdf

Too ... http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA5-4130ENW.pdf

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
0 Kudos
sc077
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, the system cannot see the device and therefor conkit cannot see the device. On USB 3 or 2, on windows 10, 8, Linux, Android...

0 Kudos
sc077
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was that facious? Those docs just instruct how to enter gimp mode.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you're saying it does charge, but cannot show up in the any computer?

Please send a private message through the forum and we can communicate further so I can potentially get that unit for examination. This would be a unique case we've never seen before.

TW

Although I work for the HP calculator group as a head developer of the HP Prime, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, ac077:

See ... 

[PDF]HP Prime Support Notice
hp-prime.de › files › composite_file › file
Hewlett-Packard Company Confidential. HP Prime Support Notice. Date: May 12, 2015 (Updated for Prime release 1.2).

For computers sold after August 2013 with compatible hardware, HP has tested and approved specific software and drivers to support Windows 10. See www.hp.com/windows10upgrade (in English) to check if your computer model was tested by HP.
If your computer was not tested by HP or software and drivers are not available on the HP site for Windows 10, use Windows Update in Windows 10 to get the latest software and drivers. HP and the other hardware manufacturers of components in your computer will release updated software and drivers in Windows Update when they are tested and approved.

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
sc077
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The magic combo was finding a USB 2 port in a system with a microsoft OS. No unix based systems would even detect it as a device, so I couldn't even pass it through to a VM.

0 Kudos
Tim_Wessman
Level 8
Level 8
747 744 121 187
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is really interesting. I would not have expected the linux kernel would not have connected the device. It acts as a standard HID (keyboard/mouse) type device. I will put that on the list of things to investigate...

Glad you figured it out.

TW

0 Kudos
WartWartson
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had this problem with "stuck in exam mode" occur after the battery got low.  I subsiquently plugged the Prime and charged it.  I attempted to connect to my HP Omen Laptop - no joy, I then attempted to connect to my HPE Work computer zbook 15 - again no joy.  So here I am in this situation with what seems to be a Boat Anchor.

1) As an Engineer I can't use my primary tool - I will *never* use the dumb "exam mode" - which should *not* be so easy to 'slip in to'

2) It does not connect to USB 3 devices, or some flavors of USB 2 - very finicky

3) I orignally installed the connectivity kit on an Elitebook Laptop - before the mandatory upgrade here at work, after that point I totally lost the ability to connect to the Prime.

This is a first gen Prime - I have updated the Firmware at least once since I got it.  Now I have it sitting with the battery out of it - waiting for the next trip to the range for the .45

I can't be the only person that keeps having these "connectivity" issues.

-WartWartson

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation