cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 15
16,151 14,912 1,029 2,053
Message 1 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

App Catalog not working? Missed the update? Try this!

HP provided an update to the App Catalog for webOS devices early in July of 2013, and sent emails to all registered users advising installation ASAP.  

It installed an updated Security Certificate to the app so it would continue to communicate with the HP servers.

If you missed the July 23, 2013 deadline, the result will be a failure of the App Catalog to connect.  Try this:

1. Open the Date & Time app (in the Settings Tab) and change the date on the TouchPad to July 1st, 2013.  Be sure to turn "Network time" off.

2. Connect to a wifi source and open the App Catalog.  Use the Search function to find the word "update".  When it locates the "App Catalog Update", tap the "FREE" button to install it.  When completed, the "LAUNCH" button will appear.  Tap it to install the update.

3. If the above fails to install, try restarting the device with the date changed to July 1st, then try #2 again. 

4. When installed correctly, change the date back to the present and turn Network Time back on if desired.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

You too can become an HP Expert! Details HERE!

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!
64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 2 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried this exactly as instructed and it does not work for me.. Keep getting install failed.

With the date changed to July 1, 2013 I can install other apps fine.

Root certificate still shows July 23, 2013

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Where you able to get this resolved?? I have done the same thing, I can not install apps, but cannot install the update. I have changed the date and reset the device a few times it Fails the update everytime. Thanks in ADVANCE!!

Highlighted
Level 1
2 2 0 5
Message 4 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Time for a little "pay it forward." I've been having serious issues with my beloved Palm Pre Plus over the last month. I'm getting a bit paranoid, thinking it might be a joint HP and Verizon scheme to do in my poor little phone.

Back on topic: I ran the catalog update within two days of it being released, so don't think I'm a slacker. However, over the past month, I've had extensive problems. i foolishly went to the Verizon Wireless store, whiere they did a full reset and restore, thereby losing the blankety-blank app catalog update / certificate.

I have tried several times to get this date-swap workaround to work. At least I'm in good company, there are tons of angry people who can follow directions, but can't get this one going.

I just now got the update to work without any real hacking. Here's how:

. Use the Backup app to put a fresh backup image on the server.

. Open Date & Time app, then:
. Set "Network Time" to OFF
. Set "Network Time Zone" to OFF
. NOW, change the date to July 19, 2013.
Note: Theoretically, anything before 7/22/2013 should work, but the 7/1 and 7/21 suggested dates didn't work for me.

. Back gesture and swipe all the apps off the screen.

Here's what I did differently:
. Press and hold the power switch until the Airplane Mode / Power / Cancel choices appear.
. Choose "Power" then "Restart"

Let it cycle off and on completely. When it comes back to life, check to make sure the date is still set.

NOW, open the App Catalog and search for "catalog update."
Select the "App Catalog Update" and then tap to install.

This worked fine for me. I then did cleanup:

. Open Date & Time app, then:
. Set "Network Time" to ON
. Set "Network Time Zone" to ON

. Power / Restart
. Check the time
. Run another backup

I hope this helps someone else who's been as frustrated as I was by this sloppy implementation.

Highlighted
Level 1
2 2 0 5
Message 5 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tend to be a little superstitious about coincidental timing. Right before I got this to work, I used Pattyland's site search tip to locate the app catalog update online and send it to myself via email.

This is the original thread that gave me the idea:

http://www.webosnation.com/app-catalog-finally-gets-dedicated-online-search-thanks-dedicated-user

The search brought me to the online page for this update:

https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.palm.app.appcatalogupdate

Surprised! There's an email text box and a link to send an email to yourself on the phone. (Assuming your email's working. Today, it is.). The email has a link that opens the app catalog to the correct item.

I didn't use it, but it's worth a try if all else fails.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This text box/email yourself the link failed. The email failed to send no matterWHAT email address I provided.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
33 30 0 2
Message 7 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This 'cure' does not work and there is no solution to this 'apps catalog' problem.  My advice, to save time and frustration, is to throw the Pre phone into the trash and buy something else.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 2
33 30 0 2
Message 8 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Doesn't work!! (Needless to say)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
33 30 0 2
Message 9 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link doesn't work. When you open it, it says this is not a valid hpwebos application !
Highlighted
Level 1
8 8 0 2
Message 10 of 65
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok so here is what I have for you. I recently realized my touchpad was not viewing pdfs properly and have had problems with this before. I wiped touchpad of everything expecting it to all come back as before. When I rebooted none of the apps would install properly. I knew this had something to do with the july 23rd update but couldn't get it to install cuz I couldn't install the app cataloge itself. So being frustrated and confused I tinkered with the date rolling it back and managed to get a few apps to install. That wasn't good enough for me so I installed preware as always and found the APP CATALOG UPDATE by searching for it in preware. I installed this update and was bummed that it didn't make a difference at first. I did notice that the apps were slowly loading rather than "failing to intstall". After getting many failed to install mssgs later in the day I set the time back to normal time and date. After rebooting and going directly to preware and downloading app cataloge update I went to work not thinking the problem was resolved. When I arrived home ALL APPS were reinstalled! So what worked for me is installing preware, downloading the app update by searching in preware then resetting the date to CURRENT date rather than pre july 23rd date and bang it's all back to normal. Good luck!

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation