Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Help me I was watching a video and then my screen went all black. But I could still turn it on but there is no monitor screen showing up. Then I began researching and I found out I have the black screen of death. I need an answer because I tried fixing it but it won't work. So HP if your reading this please tell me an answer 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @Spiderhd5, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand when you boot your PC you see a black screen.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Does the issue persist when you boot into BIOS?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key on the keyboard you will boot into BIOS. 

If you are unable to boot into BIOS, try performing a hard reset on your PC and check if it helps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

To perform a power reset on a laptop with a removable battery, use the following steps:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
With the battery and power cord unplugged, press and hold the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors.
Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the laptop, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
After Windows opens, reconnect each peripheral device that was disconnected, one device at a time, until all devices are reconnected.
Your laptop has been reset. After a power reset, it is a good idea to run Windows Update and HP Support Assistant to update all device drivers. See Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Windows 10, 😎 and Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7) for more information.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot black screen issues with your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

. I was putting a new version of Malwarebytes into my computer and checking Norton before the computer went black on opening it the next time.  Microsoft's mcAfee which I don't want to pay for had a pop up message telling me buy it or else and I think that is what caused my computer to go into black screen of death mode ? I can't get rid of the mcAffee pop ups.  I don't want it because I am running other services already.  I tried everything  from pressing all the f keys and turning off the computer entirely and unplugging everything and I type control alt delete  and can't get a menu of tasks. typing that just get my computer to turn back up and seemingly not boot. I do see the blue hp page first and then it starts the boot and seems to fail. I went to F11 and tried to restore the computer to the original   point and it refuses to do that and I cannot back up my files. the whole thing is stuck and is just 8 years old  .  the mc affee download from Microsoft sort of threatened me with another pop up if I dared to remove it. I think I should sue micorsoft for pushing that on me constantly.  I can't get Microsoft to leave me alone with a pop up every time I turn on my computer to subscribe to their costly unnecessary cloud services. I have to manually take that down every time.  what can I do to get out of black screen death and get Microsoft to quit pushing me to pay for what I don't want at risk to my computer?

HP Recommended

Did you ever resolve this issue? My girlfriends hp pavilion that she uses for the sims has the same issue. Everything you said from the antivirus threat to the unable to reset is the same.

HP Recommended

@ItsMarty,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.