Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
phishphyx Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Blue Screen of Death --> Datebook gone, Addressbook in danger

Having some major addressbook/datebook issues with HotSync. I am using a Handspring Visor (the original, old model), Palm Desktop 4.0.1, Windows XP Home. I have not updated any of the hardware/software lately.

A couple days ago, when I synced my Handspring Visor, I got the dreaded "blue screen of death." I rebooted my computer, and then found that the Palm Desktop program wouldn't load. It gave me an error saying the addressbook database could not be opened. The sync log also gave me a series of messages like this:

"Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again." (Below, I've pasted in the full log from the last couple days so you can see exactly what I mean.)

This morning, I synced the device again, thinking that perhaps the addressbook file had become corrupted and that a sync would clear things up. The answer was ... anything but!

I was able to get the Palm Desktop software to reopen by renaming "addresss.dat" to "address.dba." However, two major problems:

1) The addressbook on my computer is totally blank. There are three files in the "Address" folder with these extensions: .aba, .dat, and .bak. All of them are only 1 or 2 KB in size. However, this isn't a total loss because my addresses seem to be intact on my handheld.

2) My datebook has lost ALL data I've entered since roughly January 2008. All my previous years of calendar entries seem to be unaffected. This is the scary part because my handheld AND my desktop both have this problem. I tried the solution of renaming the datebook.bak file to datebook.dba (and giving the current file a .old suffix), but that did not fix the problem. Both files are 355 KB in size. I've also tried setting up a new users and copying over both these files one at a time, but that didn't fix the problem either.

Sadly, I was a fool and didn't backup my Palm files after the blue screen of death the other day; I didn't do it until AFTER that second sync this morning where my datebook data got lost.

Basically, I'm pretty sure I'm screwed about the datebook files. However, I would like to make sure my addressbook doesn't get erased from my handheld. Before my next sync, I feel like I should set the HotSync conduit prefs for addressbook to "Handheld Overwrites Desktop," but I thought I'd get some feedback from y'all before I did that. I am also really curious why I'd lose SOME of my calendar data but not ALL of it? That's the weirdest part to me.

Many thanks for any help you could provide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOTSYNC LOG 

HotSync operation started 08/22/08 07:30:08
-- Date Book
   - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
     Desktop = 2343, Handheld = 2342
OK Date Book with 1 message(s)
-- Address Book
   - Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
     Desktop =  0, Handheld =  481
Address Book synchronization failed
-- To Do List
   - Handheld category 'Business' has been deleted.
   - Handheld category 'Personal' has been deleted.
   - Some handheld records were not copied to the Palm Desktop. Attempting to restore from the handheld.
     Desktop =  1, Handheld =   14
OK To Do List with 3 message(s)
-- Memo Pad
   - Handheld category 'Business' has been deleted.
   - Handheld category 'Personal' has been deleted.
   - Some handheld records were not copied to the Palm Desktop. Attempting to restore from the handheld.
     Desktop =  0, Handheld =   18
OK Memo Pad with 3 message(s)
OK Expense
   -- Backing up db Saved Preferences to file C:\Program Files\Handspring\PollocC\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
OK System
HotSync operation complete 08/22/08 07:32:24

HotSync operation started 08/20/08 08:15:59
OK Date Book
-- Address Book
     Desktop =  0, Handheld =  481
Address Book synchronization failed
-- To Do List
     Desktop =  0, Handheld =   15
To Do List synchronization failed
-- Memo Pad
     Desktop =  0, Handheld =   18
Memo Pad synchronization failed
OK Expense
   -- Backing up db Saved Preferences to file C:\Program Files\Handspring\PollocC\Backup\Saved_Preferences.PRC
OK System
HotSync operation complete 08/20/08 08:16:15

HotSync operation started 08/15/08 08:21:23
OK Date Book
OK Address Book
OK To Do List
OK Memo Pad
OK Expense
OK System
HotSync operation complete 08/15/08 08:21:26

Post relates to: Visor Neo

2 REPLIES
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
4698 188 145
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post

When you sync the device to Palm desktop a file is created on the first sync with the extension .dat. When you sync the second time the data in the .dat file is copied to the .bak file. The process is cycled in that order. Each time you sync, the files are overwritten. If you sync once and notice the data is gone, don't sync again because the .bak file should have the recoverable data.  

When you rename the files to recover your data you need to rename the files in the following order. 

Close Palm Desktop, rename the .dat to .old. Next rename the .bak file to .dat. Reopen palm desktop and see if the data is there.

Try this and see if you can recover the data.

Here is a method for saving your data in a seperate location in case you lose data again.

The best way to preserve your data is to export the data in each category in Palm Desktop to a seperate folder on your PC.

Create a new folder on your PC somewhere that is convenient. Name it something like Palm Desktop Data. CLick on the link below and follow the instructions on that page for the export procedure.

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=28734

With the data saved in the folder you created, make a copy of that folder and save to a flash drive, cd-rw or external hard drive. Anytime you make a change in Palm Desktop, export the data that was changed to that folder and save again to the external media.

With this process you can always import the data back into Palm Desktop anytime you have a problem with the data in Palm Desktop or if your computer/hard drive/device crashes.

Post relates to: Palm i705

Message Edited by cygnusX1 on 08-22-2008 09:16 AM
0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
1145 24 35
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post

Your Date Book has a corrupt database record. The side which has a greater number of records should be set to Overwrite the side with the lesser number of records for one sync only.

Before proceeding, I recommend you copy the entire User folder (resembles your Hotsync ID) to a separate location on your computer. That way if you have issues when renaming the .dat, .bak, .old etc. you have your starting point available to copy from.

Good luck.

Post relates to: Palm TX

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation