Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi I have been struggling with disk constantly at 99%. I have windows 10 installed. notebook is less than a year old.

Is there any way I can better control windows update?

I need to use my notebook usually for very definitive tasks such as preparation of documents etc. Usually I am short on time and have to complete something before going to work or in a few hours in the evening etc.

However each time I boot up it more often that not starts updating windows or running MS defender. I have removed the bloatware and installed programmes such as cc cleaner and slim computer to try to keep it a lean machine.

However I seem to be constantly going to task manager and trying to figure out which services are slowing it up. 

Right clicking and pressing stop-  superfetch, bits etc

I have searched forums and some recommend about changing setting or virtual disks etc but I dont want to do that if possible.

I have re-set the notebook about 3 times now , usually taking about 4 hours to build it again and install programs I need. It works fine for a few weeks before slowing up again.

Is there a way to stop my notebook constantly hunting and installing updates etc so I can use it when I need to ?

It is very frustrating as I spend more time trying to reduce the disk 99% than I can afford and this means I dont get done what I need to.

Is it anything to do that the main cpu chip is not fast enough?

Sometimes it can be sometime, days or weeks, before I use it again which means it seems to have backlog of windows updates to do that makes it almost impossible to use my notebook as its churning away doing the updates instead of what I need it for.

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@peterISfearr

I can offer the following Commentary..

I don't know what kind of notebook you have -- it sounds like you have a little-bitty "stream" notebook with a tiny little disk.  

These little notebooks typically intend that you do all your work -- and keep all your documents and programs -- online, in the cloud, anywhere except stored on the computer.  For example, use Office 365 (online subscription software) as opposed to (purchasing and) installing Office 2016 onto the computer.

Anything at all that you install directly on the notebook's main disk is going to add to the file load.

Typically, if you want to store data on the computer, it is recommended that you use a SDC or USB drive (as available / usuable on your notebook).

Windows Updates cannot be easily stopped -- you can set your Wireless connection to Metered which essentially tells Updates to only plague you with Necessary Updates and not bother you with "extra" or recommended updates.

Settings > Network and Internet > Wifi > Manage known networks >

Left-Click on your own local network > Properties

Set ON Set as metered connection

You can also set / change the "Active hours" and the "Restart options" settings in Windows Updates so at least the computer won't be bugging you to Restart the computer at odd times.

Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update 

Change active hours

and

Restart options

Under Advanced you will find

"Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows"

If you are indeed using a little "Stream" or other little notebook with tiny disk space and IF you are indeed using online tools like "Office 365" and other Microsoft software, you might not need this option checked.  If you are using installed versions of Microsoft tools and software, you do need to keep this option checked so your installed software / tools are kept updated.

If this doesn't make sense, ignore it and leave the setting however you find it.

You can also opt to pause Updates (also in Advanced).  This is a kind of catch-22 in that you are "saved" for the moment, but the issue quickly catches up with you and you must complete the Updates before you can again hit the "pause button".  Meh.  Useful if you have an important "save your life" meeting and cannot, cannot have anything interrupting you -- maybe not so great when it is time to "pay the piper".

Advanced > Delivery Optimization

While it is tempting to use (allow) downloads from "other" computers to help install your updates quickly and efficiently,  letting "PCs on the Internet" have any sort of access to my computers bothers me.   No amount of logic works to make me think this is a good thing.

If you want to use this setting at all, and you have other computers in your local network, AND that network is yours (not some public coffee shop setup), consider setting:

Set ON Allow downloads from other PCs

Select (only):  PCs on my local network

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur, 

No I am not using an itsy-bitsy notebook.

I am note sure what product it is as there doesnt seem to be the normal sticker but when I run support assistant it tells  me its a HP Notebook X7G68EA#ba which isnt a very memorably product name for a notebook.

I dont really use MS office cloud and I dont want to. It is running MS Winds 10

I have ms office pro legit version.

Its 64 bit and as I explained its new , I removed bloatware so seems to me the hard drive/disc is almost empty.

I have 4gb ram, 2.0 Ghz

C drive has 856gb free out of 916 gb

I tried to change active hours to times I am not likely to be using it 

I have not changed to 'metered' wifi etc for update settings

Its not networked to other pcs and I have turned off settings to allow my notebook to be used for updating other pcs.

I would really like an ap that controls windows services and updates so I can take back control of my notebook and its stops getting hogged by processes that I cant control easily.

As I write this disc is at 4%, memory 75% ( so its ok for the moment until next active update)

Update settings says 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4056891)

which it says I should re-start to finish.

Peter

HP Recommended

@peterISfearr

I am not aware of any "apps" to allow you control over Windows Updates.   Windows 10 is something of a "rolling release" -- it is meant to take care of itself and that includes updating the File System as it deems necessary.  There might be something out there - I've not seen it.

In general, your computer will run better (and more efficiently) when both Windows Updates and the HP drivers and software are kept current.

OK - found X7G68EA

Device Homepage

Drivers and Software, Videos, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, and more

HP Notebook - 15-ba079sa (ENERGY STAR)

Very Approximate Price Point in USD: about $390.

This is a lower end system meant for personal, casual use.

Part of the issue is likely the small amount of installed memory -- 4GB is about enough to run the operating system with not much left over.

4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB); Transfer rates up to 1600 MT/s

Another possible "choke" point is the slower hard drive.  There is certainly sufficient space (1TB) but the disk itself is a slower piece of hardware.  To what extent this matters as a total of the configuration setup is not something I can easily judge -- faster disk response is better but there are other factors (CPU speed / processing and memory) which may negate the benefits of "faster disk".

1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

My experience with AMD processors is limited -- I think this CPU is perhaps "moderate" class.

AMD Quad-Core A6-7310 APU (2 GHz, up to 2.4 GHz, 2 MB cache)
Processor family: AMD Quad-Core A-Series processor

I cannot discern whether this particular system actually allows the memory to be increased.

If such is possible, an SSD would perhaps help speed up the disk response.

Perhaps another Expert can assist.  Should there be a response, we will hear back here on this thread.

Please forgive any delays -- we are an international team; many of our Experts are spread across vastly different time zones.

@banhien , @Huffer

Can you provide words of wisdom?

Perhaps some way(s) to improve the user's experience?

Specifications sheet ?

Service Manual

Datasheet

Thanks!

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts – Please READ:

Be aware of scams, thieves, and vermin that infest the underbelly of the forum. 

These people are NOT here to help you.

AND

Signs of Vermin:

• Do not respond to “for hassle free help – call us at this number” messages.
  • HP does not post unsolicited private messages that contain embedded phone numbers or email addresses.
  • HP does NOT sign email or messages as “Helpdesk”, “TechHelp”, “TechDesk” or similar.
  • Verify all phone numbers against HP Contact information in HP Documents.
  • HP will not call you to tell you there is a problem on your computer.
  • HP will not call you and ask for your personal information.
  • HP will not call you to offer you money.
  • HP will not insist that you let the technician log into your computer.
  • HP will not tell you your computer is full of malware and then offer to sell you a “plan”.
  • Avatars and "HP" emblems inside an email or message can be faked.

HP and Forum Community HP Experts do NOT message, call, or email you and promise to fix a problem if you would just "call this number", give out your personal information, promise your first-born child, provide a credit card number.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I download support assistant again after removing it to make my machine more lean.

I saw there was about 10 updates and 5 messages.

I have started uploading and installing these in the hope it will improve my user experience.

Some like AMD graphic drivers and hp recovery manager - I dont think these will really help with anything and some seem quiet hefty to download and install.  So again I am downloading updates, waiting and have a slow machine.

Can I be selective on which I update ?

Is the HP bios update and AMD processors update from HP likely to help much ?

I was thinking - what about if I downgraded from window 10 to windows 7 - would this make using windows

and opening and printing documents faster and stop the dics 99% and out-of-control updates ?

Maybe you are right this notebook just cant cope with win 10 and basic tasks?

Peter

HP Recommended

@peterISfearr

Windows 7

There are not Windows 7 HP software and drivers for this notebook.  

Windows 7 is not a recommended Operating System for your hardware.

BIOS Update

From the description in Associated files, the BIOS update is not intended to make the computer faster -- it improves / updates the UEFI code (diagnostics). 

IF you decide to update the BIOS, do so manually (do NOT use HPSA even if it offers) and only after update the BIOS you have installed any HP Updates that you intend to install.  Before you attempt to update the BIOS be sure you have backed up any critical files and data somewhere OTHER than on the computer itself.  Back up files / data to the cloud, to an USB drive, "somewhere" that you can retrieve the data in the event that something goes wrong during the BIOS Update.

HP Support Assistant - HP Driver / Software Updates

Yes, you can select which HP Updates you want to install.

If you wish to use the HPSA to install updates, open the progream > Adjust the Settings to Notify you as opposed to "automatically" downloading and installing updates.

Settings > click More Options

Select Check for updates, but let me choose which updates to download and install

Click Save

HPSA_Settings_3A.JPG

To clarify my earlier comments:

The limited capacity of the hardware on your system is not so limited that Windows 10 should have problems updating.  It is true that during the time that the updates are downloading -- depending on your network and hardware -- that the system might appear to be "very busy".  The "installation" phase might also be disruptive, though much depends on the size of the Update -- some updates are much smaller in size and complexity than are others.

You might mitigate some of the interruption if you switch on the computer at a time you are not planning on using it > open Settings > Windows Updates > Check for Updates

Let the system update without trying to simultaneously using the computer for other tasks.

If you feel the notebook is not performing to specification and it is still under warranty, do contact HP Tech Support in your region; ask for options / help.

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts 

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts – Please READ:

Be aware of scams, thieves, and vermin that infest the underbelly of the forum. 

These people are NOT here to help you.

AND

Signs of Vermin:

• Do not respond to “for hassle free help – call us at this number” messages.
  • HP does not post unsolicited private messages that contain embedded phone numbers or email addresses.
  • HP does NOT sign email or messages as “Helpdesk”, “TechHelp”, “TechDesk” or similar.
  • Verify all phone numbers against HP Contact information in HP Documents.
  • HP will not call you to tell you there is a problem on your computer.
  • HP will not call you and ask for your personal information.
  • HP will not call you to offer you money.
  • HP will not insist that you let the technician log into your computer.
  • HP will not tell you your computer is full of malware and then offer to sell you a “plan”.
  • HP will not tell you your computer is broken and then offer to sell you a "plan".
  • Avatars and "HP" emblems within the content (inside) an email or message can be faked.

HP and Forum Community HP Experts do NOT message, call, or email you and promise to fix a problem if you would just "call this number", give out your personal information, promise your first-born child, provide a credit card number.

HP Contact Options…

NOTE:

HP may advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty.  This is normal business practice.

HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty.  This is normal business practice.  Standard Warranty typically covers only hardware.  Care Pack Warranties differ by contract.

Open Browser to HP Forum,

Scroll down to the bottom of the page,

Click Contact HP

Click Support

Follow instructions

Technical Support Details

USA / Canada

1. Submit information online: HP Customer Support - USA / Canada - Contact
  2. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information online HP Customer Support - UK - Contact
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

Everywhere else

1. Contact Information: HP World-Wide Support

Additional Information - "Things that are HP"

HP on Facebook

Need help finding your computer?

Visual search-and-click to assist finding your computer model

Help to find Product Information:

Warranty Check

NOTE:  Use the "multiple systems" method to check your single system or multiple systems

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Click the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

Warranty Dispute

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.