cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
hoffman_r
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Desktop Font Issue - Really Poor Support From Palm

HP Recommended

It is inexcusable that Palm will not address and fix the font issue with the Desktop software listed below.

The software is basically unusable.

Grow up Palm ... people have wide screens with high resolution now, and your workaround solution is a joke.

You should do a Google search and see what people are saying about you on this issue.

Don't you have any programmers there who can do this?  Set a date and get it done please.

Article ID: 35549  
Changing the font size in Palm Desktop

The Palm Desktop application was designed for the average screen resolutions used by the majority of our customers. Depending on your system, the fonts in Palm Desktop may be too tiny to read in resolutions beyond 1280x1024.

There is no way to set the font size in Palm Desktop.

One workaround is to lower your screen resolution when working with Palm Desktop. From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then Control Panel, then Display, then Settings. You can lower the resolution on the Settings screen.

Post relates to: Centro (Sprint)

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DTfromBH
Level 7
1,145 1,145 24 35
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Palm Desktop has not been owned by Palm for four or five years now. It was property of PalmSource, which was subsequently acquired by Access Company of Japan. Access delivered the Centro version of Desktop to Palm.

Post relates to: Palm TX

0 Kudos
hoffman_r
Author
Just joined
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So let me see if I understand ... Palm basically outsourced the support for the Desktop software to another company (via a sale) and then accepts poor software from them and allows users to think that Palm is an incompetant software company that can't write decent code?

You would think that Palm would put some pressure on them to develop software that reflects the quality  of the product and the image they want to project ... right ???

0 Kudos
Morrison-Lives
Level 2
16 16 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Using "regedit" I was able to change the font size larger for use with the Palm Desktop software.

Run "regedit" and export (save) a backup copy for safety
    File  >  Export  

Search for "FontSmall"
    Edit  >  Find  >  Find what  >  FontSmall

Click on FontSizeGeneral and change the "Value data" to 16

Exit "regedit"

Run Palm Desktop software and enjoy the new legible font size!

Notes:
  1) The location of the Palm Desktop software on my system using "regedit" is:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Core
        * Your location of the Palm Desktop software may differ.

2) I tested this on monitors using resolutions of 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768
        The font size is noticeably readable and much, much better

3) You may also change the font family from the default (Arial) to another, such as Verdana, etc.
        FontCard    (Changes the font family in the side panels)
        FontGeneral    (Changes the font family for most of the program fonts)

4) Operating System: Windows XP Pro
        Palm Desktop v4.1.4

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation