Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example:HPK Stream 14"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I recently bought a new HP laptop; a 14" HPK Stream operating with Windows 10. Even allowing for not being much good with laptops I'm not sure if I've inadvertently caused the following but would be grateful for any ideas on how to resolve please.

The Toolbar is on the L side of the screen and will not move at all despite trying all the guidance I've seen on the net. I can't get any icons to add to the toolbar and would particularly like the documents icon to be at the available on the toolbar at the bottom as that's what I'm used to! (I'm not sure if the operating system is W10, 32 or 64 bit).

The desktop screen has reverted back to the standard Windows display though if I caused this I don't know what I did to do so. The screen is also duller than it should be though as soon as I touch the toolbar it becomes as bright as it normally would be.

I've no idea how to correct any of the above. Would reverting back to factory settings be an option once I've saved the few documents I have to a pen drive or One Drive?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks very much for this. I have now got the taskbar at the bottom with some of the usual icons, including File Explorer, Edge and Outlook. All the "icons" as I call them are still on the L of the screen however. Specifically, Settings (now also at the bottom),  File Explorer, Network, Documents, an icon with my name, All Apps, Pinned Tiles (which has a blue bar along the L hand side of the icon and Expand. 

I'm sure the screen display is duller than it should be as well.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you click on the Windows button on the lower left side of the taskbar, there should be icons on the left side.

Those cannot be changed as far as I am aware.

Starting from the top and working down:

Your user name

Documents

Pictures

Settings

Power

If that is not what you are referring to, then unfortunately I don't have any other suggestions for you.

You could factory reset the notebook and that should fix whatever happened.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul.

From the top on the L they are: Expand, Pinned Tiles (with the mysterious blue line along the L hand side edge), All Apps, User Name, Documents, Network, File Explorer Settings (now also on the bottom taskbar)  and Power.

If I could bother you with one more question please? What's the best way to safely do a factory reset?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

See the link below for the various ways to reset your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll try a system reset, though I am a bit reticent about losing any of the files I have in One Drive despite the guidance saying the files won't be lost.

Thanks again for taking the time to help, much appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.