Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite x3

Hi All,

I'm asked to help a friend to recover his phone. I received his phone with a nice blue screen 😞

The screen is the Recovery screen with the message. Your BDC is missing or contains errors.

file: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Error Code: 0xc0000017

I downloaded Microsofts Windows Device Recovery Tool v 3.12.24302 and that downloaded the Elite x3 image but i'm unable to get the phone in recovery mode.

I tried all combinations with Power off the Vol up + Power, Power Off and then Vol down+Power.

When i do the Power + Vol Up it directly goes to the Blue Windows screen. When i use the Power + Vol down and keep the Vol Down i get the HP logo for 30 seconds but after that i get the same Blue screen 0xc0000017.

I'm familiair with normal WIndows 10 environments but not with Windows Mobile 10.

I read alot of issues with the memory card but that's already removed. I read all kind of issues with different build/version Windows 10 but everybody seems to be able to fix it with the WDRT but unfortunately i'm not.

The phone was working but crashed and never got back in Windows. I don't know if there was an update or not.

Does anybody has an idea how i can get into the recovery option so i can use WDRT?

Regards Er.

Edit: I also tried the Power + Vol Down and during the 30 seconds HP screen Vol up - Vol Down - Power - Vol Down sequence but also without any luck.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have an HP X3 ELite Phone stuck in blue recovery mode loop.  BCD error.  Tried everything to get into flash mode.  Nothing seems to work. 

HP Recommended
Power off then power back on. As soon as you feel vibration, take finger off power and on volume up to get into load mode.
HP Recommended

Hi WashingtonWill,

Thank you for your reply but as mentioned in my post i already tried power off, power on and press Vol up.

When i do this i get the BSOD/BCD error instantly. I've tried it multiple times without any luck getting in the load/flash screen.

Regards Er

HP Recommended

Sunny31,

I think you need to try and replace the phone.

I went to the Microsoft Store yesterday.  They took one look at the situation and decided the phone is completely "bricked" and cannot be reset without special hardware to flash the firmware (at least as far as the store experts knew).

Since I bought the phone from them less than 24 hours prior, they simply exchanged it for another new-in-box HP Elite X3 bundle.

I sat in the store, unboxed the phone, installed my SIM card and allowed the new phone to cycle through 2 Windows updates and 1 HP phone update, which took about 1 hour using the free wi-fi in the store -- they kept me supplied with coffee and there was an in-store LOL tournament happening to keep me entertained. :catvery-happy:

I updated and restarted the phone about 3 times using:
Settings -> Update & Security -> Phone Update

It successfully went through this sequence of updates (the last 2 were done at the same time with one restart):

• 10.0.14393.693 (out-of-box OS version)
  • 2017-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for arm-based Phone Devices (10.0.15063.608 - the latest!
  • HP Update for Windows Phone

So I have NO IDEA why the previous phone bricked itself.  Maybe I went through this process in a slightly different order?  Maybe I should not have installed my SD card until after updating?  Who knows.  But what worked was to put in the SIM card only and go straight to the Phone Update screen and let it do its thing on WiFi.  I did this on battery power (70% to start and ended with about 50%).

AFTER this was all done, I put in my SD card and started setting up Skype and other apps.  I rebooted again to make sure it was still good and I've had no problems so far.

My phone is working GREAT and I'm very happy now.  The fingerprint scanning is awesome!

The current versions are:

Windows 10 Mobile

Version 1703

OS Build 10.0.15063.608

Firmware rev 0002.0000.0037.0001

Bootloader version 520239

Best of luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.