cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tyndall_1
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Exchange Calendars: What I am trying to do on my Pre. Any suggestions are appreciated.....

OK.....here is my tale of woe and what I am trying\wanting to do:

My law firm just got Pres (a couple from Verizon and one from Sprint) for the attorneys.  We all cover for each other in different Courts so we figured it would be exceptionally good if we all had each others calendars on our devices, that way we could make sure not to "double book" an appearance for a coworker in two different places.  

The catch is we just want each others calendars....not email, not tasks, and especially not each others contacts.

Is there a way to do this (absent setting up Google synch on each desktop....by no means an ideal solution).

Anyway, any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jack

aka Tyndall

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Exchange Calendars: What I am trying to do on my Pre. Any suggestions are appreciated.....

Exchange on the Pre is an all or nothing setup. As for Google all you would need to do is setup the Google account and then make the appt's. There is not desktop "setup" needed other than a web browser

0 Kudos
Tyndall_1
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I understand.  Is this a limitation on the part of the Pre, or is there some setting I can have my IT guy change server-side so all the info does not come over?  Thanks for the insight.  

P.S.  Google is not going to help us here.

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I double checked this, email is required but you can remove contacts from the device. Basically setup you EAS account then in email set the default as something other than the EAS account. Then you can setup your calendars to share on EAS then you will be all set.

0 Kudos
afriend_1
Level 2
35 35 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

create a google account specificly for the firm, then have that as one of the accounts loaded on the phone for everyone.  you can have general contacts in there as well (ie office numbers, etc).

0 Kudos
Tyndall_1
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am sorry, I must be missing something.....how does my setting something other than the EAS account as default remove all the other EAS contacts that came over when I added other parties EAS accounts? It does not appear to matter which of the accounts is default in the mail program on the device...all the contacts are still coming over, and remain no matter that said EAS account is not the default.

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The way the Pre/webOS works is that when you sign in with an email account that can sync contacts and calendar at the same time.

To get around this go to the account you want to remove from the device in this case contact and remove the EAS account. To remove the account to into Contacts tap on Contacts in the top left and select preferences and accounts. Then tap on the account you want to remove and then click on remove account in the bottom.

Since EAS is tied to the email you cannot remove the email account. This is where I was saying to set the default to something other than EAS so you don't always send email from that account. Post back if you have more questions.

0 Kudos
Tyndall_1
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Perhaps it would be best if I detail exactly what and how I am doing this and you can point out where I am failing.

Here is my example:

I am Jack.  I set up my EAS account on the Pre.  It brings all my contacts, email and calendar.  This is fine since this is my device.

I want to have access to Bill's calendar.  Bill and I are partners.  I add Bill's Eas account to the device and sure enough all his emails, contacts and calendars come over.  Now I could live with having his email on the device (I can set it to download manually so in effect I would never actually have to look at his emails), but I can't live with all his contacts mingling with mine.  Of course I am happy I can see his calendar, since that was the whole idea here.  Nonetheless, I go into my contacts app, I choose accounts and Preferences and I remove Bill's contacts account.  Unfortunately this not only removes his contacts, but also removes his calendar and his email.  

SO there it is in a nutshell.  I have tried similarly to add Bill's EAS account in the calendar app, with the same results....if I thereafter go and delete his contact account the entire EAS account leaves the device.  

I just can't seem to figure a way to get rid of the contacts and keep the calendar.  Any further thoughts?  I do appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I see now.  That will not work for what you are wanting to do. The only thing that will do what your looking for is Google. I apologize for stating to you that this should work with EAS. The Pre is limited to what EAS can do and on some EAS servers you can remove the contacts on the device an nothing else will be removed.

I am unsure why you stated Google will not work for this? The way the device and Google is setup it would work perfectly. Everyone can have there own accounts and you can share the accounts only with the people needed. Then it will show up under your calendar as a drop down and its own calendar.

I do apologize again. If you have any more questions please post back.

0 Kudos
Tyndall_1
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The only reason I am hesitant for Google is because the only way to get an EAS calendar onto google is to implement their desktop Google sync program.  To me that seems a rather inelegant way to do it, not to mention that it only works so long as the user is logged into their desktop.  Otherwise there is no way for the calendar info to be uploaded to the Google calendar.....and we cannot switch from our Outlook product to using Google for the entire office.

If there is another way to make an Outlook calendar independently (meaning without using the Google sync desktop app) sync up to a google calendar account then please let me know, as I may be missing something there.

I appreciate the time you took to try and help me through this.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation