Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I notice that when I upgraded from Desktop 4.1 to Desktop 4.1.4 that the font size for memos, calendar, contacts, .etc is considerably smaller than it was in DT 4.1. I've seen some posts here that seem to suggest that there is NO way to change the font size of Palm Desktop for the Palm III class of PDA's. I suppose Palm thought they were doing us a favor by decreasing the font size and allowing more viewable text on screen BUT actually it's just another source of eye strain. Anyone found a work around for this before I roll back to Desktop 4.1?--'cause I'm sure not about to change my system default font size or resolution to accommodate this new "feature".

Post relates to: Palm IIIxe

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended
I have the same problem (Windows XP) and cannot find a way to change it. Palm, please listen. Those of us who are over 40 or are just plain nearsighted could use some help. We need an option to make the text larger - at least the same size of prior versions. If there is a way to do this in 4.1.4, I'd love to know how!
HP Recommended
I already rolled back. I ain't messin with this ole Palm PDA much longer anyway--although I've had a good run with it. The simple "shades of gray" these gismos are capable of, are not very helpful for creating MORE visible text and other display information. I'll be going Blackberry picking in the near future.
HP Recommended
About desktop font being too small (Odd how Palm gives you a multitude of options for your font on this page)

I've done my best to bring this problem to Palm's attention for a number of years.  I recall that there is a way to increase the font size on Palm's desktop by going through Windows Preferences.  It's a complicated procedure and I've seen tech savvy people unaware as to this mechanism.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I agree with those who state that some of us Palm users are middle aged and beyond and that's it's a mistake not catering to our visual needs.  I need stronger reading glasses to read contacts/calander etc on the Palm desktop.  That's just wrong
Best regards
Tewie
HP Recommended
I recently purchased a Dell with Windows Vista and a 20" monitor. The font on my palm program is so small it's difficult to read. I can change it if I reduce the screen resolution but then the letters are not crisp. Is there another option?  I see postings from a few years ago and wonder if there's any improvement. Thanks.

Post relates to: Palm Z22

HP Recommended

Palm Desktop is no longer owned by Palm, it's property of Access Company of Japan now. Palm has no legal ability to modify Palm Desktop at all.

The forum software is from a company called Lithium. They provide forum software for many corporations. 

Post relates to: Palm TX

HP Recommended

Using "regedit" I was able to change the font size larger for use with the Palm Desktop software.

Run "regedit" and export (save) a backup copy for safety
    File  >  Export  

Search for "FontSmall"
    Edit  >  Find  >  Find what  >  FontSmall

Click on FontSizeGeneral and change the "Value data" to 16

Exit "regedit"

Run Palm Desktop software and enjoy the new legible font size! :smileyhappy:

Notes:
  1) The location of the Palm Desktop software on my system using "regedit" is:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Core
        * Your location of the Palm Desktop software may differ.

2) I tested this on monitors using resolutions of 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768
        The font size is noticeably readable and much, much better

3) You may also change the font family from the default (Arial) to another, such as Verdana, etc.
        FontCard    (Changes the font family in the side panels)
        FontGeneral    (Changes the font family for most of the program fonts)

4) Operating System: Windows XP Pro
        Palm Desktop v4.1.4

HP Recommended

Hello 

Any suggestions for Access Desktop 6.2.2, I suppose a bit more recent than 4.1.4 ?  My location corresponds to yours, however I cannot find "FontSmall" in my registry, is there another location I shoudl look for.   Thks

HP Recommended

@Morrison-Lives wrote:

Using "regedit" I was able to change the font size larger for use with the Palm Desktop software.

Run "regedit" and export (save) a backup copy for safety
    File  >  Export  

Search for "FontSmall"
    Edit  >  Find  >  Find what  >  FontSmall

Click on FontSizeGeneral and change the "Value data" to 16

Exit "regedit"

Run Palm Desktop software and enjoy the new legible font size! :smileyhappy:

Notes:
  1) The location of the Palm Desktop software on my system using "regedit" is:
        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop\Core
        * Your location of the Palm Desktop software may differ.

2) I tested this on monitors using resolutions of 1280 x 1024 and 1024 x 768
        The font size is noticeably readable and much, much better

3) You may also change the font family from the default (Arial) to another, such as Verdana, etc.
        FontCard    (Changes the font family in the side panels)
        FontGeneral    (Changes the font family for most of the program fonts)

4) Operating System: Windows XP Pro
        Palm Desktop v4.1.4

Thanks a Lot... It works excellent for me!

HP Recommended

can any body help regarding the size of my font looking dim & small font on my palm pilot professional, i see the answer is use the regedit to change the font, i am not that clever to use this regedit to change the font, can somebody explain in simple terms so i may understand how to change my font,thanks,allan

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.