cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
djjw
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 15c LE

On my HP15c LE calculator, there appears to be a bug in computing values with fractions. 

This same problem occurs on the iPhone emulator produced by HP but not emulators produced by others for use on PCs and iPhone/iPad devices.

To reproduce the problem:

1. Enter the following: "1234567890."

2. Press <ENTER> key

3. Enter ".22" "+" (add .22 to the value entered in #1 above)

4. Press <f> <FRAC> to display the fraction component of the sum

My HP15c LE (sn CNA21602KJ) displays "0.0000"

It should display "0.2200"

This problem occurs regardless of display settings (any number of digits after the radix mark), and in FIXED, SCIENTIFIC or ENGINEERING format.

Is this a known problem?  What can be done to work around or avoid the problem.  Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 9
970 953 119 185
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 15c LE

Hi,

This is not a bug but a characteristic of the calculator. The HP-15C is a 10 digit calculator, so when you have entered 1234567890 you have used all 10 digits. The 0.22 becomes insignificant and is discarded.

See p60 (Section 5) of the manual,  "Mantissa Display" and "Round-Off Error".

The HP emulator of the 15C is an exact duplication of the real calculator (it uses a copy of the actual ROM). Other 15C emulators do not use the actual calculator's ROM (due to copyright issues) and probably implement routines that use the compiler's maths library (probably based on IEEE 754). Hence they use more significant digits and the "bug" does not occur.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this, it is a limitation of the tool. You could keep portions of the number in different registers, as done in this article:

Many Digits of Pi (HP32sii, HP-16c, HP-12c, HP-12cp, HP-19c, HP-30b, HP-15c)

see last section: 306 decimal digits of pi on the HP-15C  (using 51 registers, 6 digits per register).

Hope this sheds some light on the issue.

-Bart
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 15c LE

Okay.  Thank you for this and your account regarding emulators is something I should have considered myself. I had read these sections in the handbook but not connected them to the performance I noted.

As the manual (p. 69, end of `Round-Off Error') suggests, I will have to go to the Advanced Functions Handbook to see how they suggest the 10 digit limit is to be assessed. Fortunately, that is available online in PDF (http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03308725.pdf).

Best wishes,

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation