cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lrdheat
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP 35s complex operations

I note that the HP 15c can calculate solutions to complex problems such as ARCSIN (2.404). My 35s produces "invalid data" for this operation. Is there any way to retrieve the correct result of 1.5708i-1.5239 ?

Thanks!

I work in RPN...perhaps ALG has a means of producing the result (I would prefer RPN!) ?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 9
970 953 119 184
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is not a straightforward answer. the 35s can do complex functions, and a bit more than simple four function stuff.

E.g. it can do complex roots and natural logs. But this is not straightforward either, for instance the square root of -2: entering -2 ,  SQRT does not work, neither -2 , 0.5 , y^x. But using -2i0 , 0.5 , y^x does yield 0i1.414. Also -2 , LN does not work, but -2i0 , LN does.

Unfortunately the complex ability of the 35s pretty much stops there. However, for ASIN and ACOS and some other functions, I wrote an article for the HPCC Datafile magazine for programs for the 32s and 35s.

Article extracted for the 35s follows below.

Hope this helps,

BartdB

01-01-2012:

Edit : change to lines I039, I040 & I041

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

-Bart
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Excellent...I thought I could fool the 35s into finding a solution in the solve environment using + 0i0... didn't work! Thanks for your work.
0 Kudos
hp35sman
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you integrate e^z for z complex...and how do you do it..

0 Kudos
Level 9
970 953 119 184
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please see my answer here.

-Bart

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation