Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@raabscuttle wrote:
Ok, looking around, and there are graphics driver issues with the Z2860. We can hope for an update, go back to 8, or learn to live with the issues.

For the Bluetooth issue, someone touched on that, and said removing it from device manager and rebooting (and having right driver found) fixed his issue.
Use the backlevel (8.1) driver for BT, works fine. Or use what RCK desribed a few posts ago for my issue re thermal driver. Works for BT as well.

HP Recommended

I also installed Win10 on my Elitepad; the installation went without any troubles and the "basic tablet software" seemed to work normally but very slow (=memory issue??).

But, none of my navigation/cartograpfy software (land; marine & aviation) worked - maybe graphic card driver & display issue?

Thus I decided to roll-back to Win8.1.  As both procedures, upgrading and downgrading, are quite time consuming, I do not recommend upgrading Elitepad 900 with Win 10 until HP gives some recommendations and proper drivers.

Brgds to all of you!

HP Recommended

I succesfully installed a new installation of w10 pro and enterprise:

1. acquire a windows 10 ISO,. for e.g. MSDN if you have a subscription

2. download sp71504 and sp64292 ep 900 drivers packs from HP.com. extract and store on a usb

3. use ISO to USB (http://isotousb.com) to create a bootable image that will work on elitepad 900 (UEFI BIOS). (i have found that this util is the only one that create a elitepad bootable device)

4. plug-in the USB,power on the device and install windows 10. a keyboard and mouse must be connected (to the docking station); touch will not work yet! screen will(!), also network connectivity does not work yet (default image of w10 does not contain appropiate drivers for elitepad 900 hardware

5. after successful w10 installation:

a. install sp71504 1st using 'setup'. it will update bios and provide drivers for touch

b. open device manager and look for unknown hardware entries

c. for each unknown entry: select update driver, use 'local' and point to folder on usb where sp64292 resides. (reusing w81 drivers basically)

at my device all hardware was recognised, lan +wlan+touch work just fine.  windows store works as well.

W10 (I am using 'pro') seems to be running much smoother then w8.1 ever did. it is stable so far and haven't found anything yet that didn't work.

Have fun!

T.

HP Recommended
What version display driver is installed? I ask because all previous 8.1 drivers exhibit significant graphic anomalies in Store, Edge, Jump Lists, etc. on my Envy x2 (same chipset as 900). The most recent version that anyone can find is 9.14.3.1177, so if you have something newer it might be worth investigating for us abandoned Envy x2 owners.

RCK
HP Recommended

The same driver as you mention. I only described a method to install w10 amd make it working.

the tablet performs better then before (for me), but w10 is still not where it needs to be. with w10 the elitepad is still a flat PC, desperately requiring a keyboard and mouse to make it usable for daily use.

HP Recommended

I have just successfully completed the online update of my ElitePad 900 to Windows 10 Pro.  I had an install of Windows 8.1 Pro with antivirus, MalwareBytes, and Macrium Reflect Pro ver 5.  I also have the HP Docking Station.

Previously, the GWX (Get Windows 10) app from Microsoft had been showing incompatible because of the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator video.

This month (Sept, 2015) along with the usual Microsoft updates for Windows 8.1, there were three added hardware updates:

Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Generic Participant

SMSC - LAN - SAN9512/LAN9514 USB 2.0 to Ethernet 10/100 Adapter

HP - Other hardware - HP Driver Access Service Layer.

None of these show up on the HP Drivers page at this time.  However, there is a recent BIOS update - SP71504, version 1.0.2.3 of 03 June, 2015.  This was installed in place of the older BIOS.

After these installations, the GWX Microsoft app informed me that my PC was ready for the Windows 10 update.  Prior to doing the update, I used Reflect to make another image backup (always advisable to get back to a known working state).  I then started the Windows 10 update, which took about 2.6 hours to complete.

ALL Devices in Device Manager are recognized.  The Display Driver is showing: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, driver date 11/8/2013, version 9.14.3.1176.  Touch functions and the driver appear normal.

Bluetooth and wifi are working.  Cellular informs me that the radio is off - so there will need to be some troubleshooting there.  Device Manager does not indicate a problem in software.

I'll know more in the next few days, as I install application software and all the different hardware devices that I was previously using.

Jim

HP Recommended

The cellular was just a matter of finding the proper location to turn cellular on (which is on a different screen in Settings).  I have not finished installing all of the normal software applications and changing some of the defaults to my normal settings - no problems apparent, and well satisfied with the conversion.

I don't see any screen problems. Note that Device Manager does show the Intel GMA for video, not a generic display.  Now I can get some use again out of my ElitePad .

HP Recommended

Hi, my experience of upgrading to Windows 10 as it may help others.

I've an Elitepad 900 32GB without SIM that I keep very 'light', so just W8.1 installed apps and a small number of others (word and excel editors, couple of sketch apps, Evernote desktop and touch and Onenote touch), a dock and a executive tablet pen R1.  The tablet had a full clean 8.1 reinstall from a .img in September, and then a full driver update set using HP softpaq, plus the elusive driver for the tablet pen which I only found by stumbling around in the HP sites (see my separate posts on the pen).  I also reran the Softpaq before the upgrade to W10.

I waited until the first major W10 update came out and then used the upgrade icon  As there wasn't enough room on C: (6GB instead of the needed 7+GB), I used a USB stick in a USB port of the dock. Don't try using any internal SD card instead, that doesn't seem to work.

The upgrade went fine, took a couple of hours.  After installation a disk clean-up and removing the Windows installation and roll-back files left me with about 1GB more space on the SSD than before.

Opening anything takes some fractions of seconds or seconds, but I'm not too fussed that it is not instant.  I had liked the 8.1 approach of a clear separation between tablet mode and desktop mode (so Evernote desktop in the former, touch in the latter).  That distinction of interface is much less obvious and slightly more awkward for the user to flick between, but I presume that will only matter as long as there are separate desktop and touch apps, and once they converge then it will only be an interface choice and not an interface choice and an app choice I have to make.

Only one initial problem.  I use the tablet in the dock to play catch-up radio out through USB to a DAC.  The tablet should switch between its own speakers and the USB out as it is taken from and put back into the dock, but that didn't happen for the first day, although now seems to be fine. 

Two more significant problems.

First, the tablet pen no longer works.  It was never the most stable of devices, but I had got it stable.  However even calibration fails now and requires a reboot to get out of that screen.  This is very disappointing.

Of more concern, but associated, there are no Windows 10 drivers for theElitepad 900 on the HP site, nor does the Softpaq driver update recognise W10.  HP have surely had enough notice to get this together, so I'd be grateful if anyone from HP reads this, for an indication of whether HP does intend to update drivers to W10? If the argument is the 8.1 drivers are fine, then I can assure you that the driver sp62946.exe for the pen is not fine.

Overall, the installation

I'll drop back if there is anything else.

Good luck all.

Steve

HP Recommended

Steve:

I don't have the pen, can't be any help there. Figured I would report back on software install. I have installed the minimum software that is absolutely needed, and left off a number of the older programs that are normally used.  So far, the tablet is still working without getting into the explorer.exe crash (I never did get Windows 8.1 to a usable state after loading any significant amount of software, although the bare Windows install would work).

I have Office 2016 installed, a few of the Microsoft Store apps installed. Using the Calendar app instead of trying anything heavier.

I have not yet installed the November upgrade on anything but my Insider Preview Virtual Machine. I ran into significant problems attempting to upgrade several computers at once - it just sat there and ate a huge amount of bandwidth (55.1 GB) without any of the machines actually getting above zero percent on the download.  I'm getting close to my ISP's monthly limit, so I set ALL the Windows 10 systems to not upgrade, and turned upgrade sharing off. 

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that Microsoft has stated that the on-line upgrade process MUST be used, instead of being able to use the Media Creation Tool for the new build.  I'd like to only download once for 32 bit and once for 64 bit, then be able to upgrade using USB (or DVD).  This is really going to be a problem for the in-between businesses that have 25 or 75 machines and are not on the Enterprise license.  (not really related to the Elite Pad). I have a client's new notebook to configure - I'll easily get it to Windows 10 with the USB stick, but then I've got to double the time needed for the November upgrade.  Pathetic!

As you stated, without either the docking station or a BT keyboard and mouse, the ElitePad doesn't really perform well with most Desktop type WIndows app software.  I use the iPads every single day, don't even carry the ElitePad around on service calls  (I'm carrying a Macbook Pro with OS X and Parallels with Windows 10 now - since we service both systems - our slogan is "Making Apple and Windows PLAY NICE."

Jim

MoodyBluesKeys

HP Recommended

I think the biggest issn't necessarily HP, but the Atom SOC that they use, and that Intel will not provide properly working video drivers for with Windows 10.  I finally ditched the ElitePad and bought an iPad from Verizon on an installment plan.  At some point I may also look at a Windows 10 2-in-1 tablet with docking keyboard (not the buggy HP X2's though  with their battery problems).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.