Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I bought my Spectre a few weeks ago and it came with an HP Pen that has 2 round buttons and nothing else. I was told I would be able to click through slides on PowerPoint. 

I can clikc through slides, if I'm touch the screen at the same time. 

This is obviously unusable if I we're actually going to use it in a presentation. 

If I just click the buttons not touching the screen nothing happens. 

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@nnail,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I see from your post that you are having issues with the HP Active pen not working properly on your HP notebook. 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of your notebook? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Is it a HP Tilt Pen? 

Have you tried to "Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input" in Windows? Just search that in the Windows Start Menu and hit "Calibrate."

Have you tried to update the Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

The pen can be in two modes: tablet mode (for drawing etc), and presentation mode (for pointing and switching slides). You switch between the two modes by holding the side (thumb) button down and clicking the top (eraser) button. 

When the pen is in presentation mode, click the eraser button to make the slides go forward, double click to make the slides go backward. Single click on the thumb button is a regular left click, double click on thumb button is a regular right click.

You can find more instructions: 

First off, you must have your pens Bluetooth mode turned on to go into Presentation Mode.

If you click your eraser (grenade) button once and the LED on the side flashes green once, then you're in "Active Mode". In active mode you'll get much longer battery life between charges, with about 10-15 days of daily 8-hour use in my findings. BUT the pen's bluetooth is turned off; disabling the tilt, Windows Ink shortcuts, and flip to erase features.

If you then hold the eraser button for about 5 seconds and release, your pen will switch to "Bluetooth Mode". While in bluetooth mode drawing with tilt, Windows Ink shortcuts, and flip to erase features will all work and your LED will constantly blink blue. BUT you're only gonna get 1-2 days of battery life from a full charge.

So now if you're in Bluetooth Mode and paired, while holding the side button on your pen, click and release the eraser button.

Congratulations, you're now in Presentation Mode. Just point your pen at your screen from a distance, and look... you're a wizard Hairy!

The pen uses internal accelerometers to move the cursor, much like a Roku remote, or lesser so a WiiMote. And although it isn't terribly too accurate, it works wonderfully for presentations or TV casting of photos or games.

Presentation Mode Controls:

• Click the side button for a regular left click.

• Click and hold the side button is a left click and hold, such as dragging, scrolling, or selecting text.

• Double clicking the side button is a right click.

• Clicking the eraser button is a Page Down.

• Double clicking the eraser is a Page Up.

• Holding the eraser button for 5 seconds turns off presentation mode.

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is not top button on my HP pen

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.