cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
32 25 0 5
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Slate 2: Japanese keyboard issue (physical and android) with English

I have bought a Slate 21 in Japan and it arrived with the Romanji (Western Alphabet)/Japanese (Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji)  input layout.

Not being Japanese I wanted then to set up my preferred language (English) and primary input keyboard language. Unfortunately, when set on US (or UK) English, the layout of the keyboard doesn`t match anymore the keys written and there is no Japanese layout in the list proposed on my version of Android (IC 4.2.2 - Kernel 3.4.35) to be found in Settings. 

So now every time I have to fill a form or input anything in browser or write anything, every single time I pause or change line, I am required to punch the key to the physical switch (upper left next to n.1 key) between JP and English alphabet, which results in major problems with crashes in browser, forms that are erased, and the general stress of seeing the thing that gives suggestions on the screen pop up every time I forget to do that before punching a key.

By the way, the problem awaits me with both physical and virtual keyboard.

Buying an English keyboard is not an option here (the seller tells me that HP doesn`t sell those in Japan) and replacing the native (with all the dedicated keys) with another brand will not work either for me as a fix.

Would anyone be able to help?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
11,348 10,963 247 604
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi slate21jp. Having never seen the Japanese version of the Slate  Slate 21-k100, I need some clarification.

The keyboard itself, you state has English letters and Japanese characters? Is English the primary character set on the physical keyboard (the bigger letters) or is Japanese the primary letter set? (A picture might be useful for me.). You will have to forgive me if I do not have the correct terminology, but is this type of keyboard called a Romaji/Japanese keyboard? Would you say this is the default sort of keyboard you would find on a Japanese desktop computer?

Is the language/keyboard layout set to English US in your Slate 21 right now?

It would seem to me that the Keyboard/Language would have to match the physical keyboard layout to properly correspond to the key labels.  What is the specific name for this sort of keyboard layout, that you would expect to see in the available selections?

You may have to find a 3rd party app to help facilitate this. I do not know if this is a viable solution, or if it is even what is needed to get your keyboard working the way you want it to. Something like this might give you the missing language keyboard setting you need. IQQI Japanese Keyboard. You might have more success searching the Play Store for what you need, as I am still culturally unclear.

I look forward to your response 🙂

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Intern
Intern
33 27 2 6
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Slate21jp,

Not sure if this will help, but I am using an ENGLISH Slate 7, but I purchased a BT Japanese Keyboard from Tokyo previously for another device.  Android by default didnt have the Japanese layout of the Japanese Keyboard.  I had to install one from the PLAY Store, its called, 日本語106/109キードレイアウト from Ta9mar.  So now when I use my Japanese BT Keyboard all the key inputs match the actual key layout of my physical keyboard within Android. 

as for the virtual keyboard, I believe ATOK is probably built-in when it came out of the HP factory.  I recommend installing the Google Japanese Keyboard instead. 

ZiCott

Intern
Intern
32 25 0 5
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, English is the primary language (small hira/kata appear on top pof those bigger Romanji characters. It is the standart they sell in Jpana with this machine. Try Amazon.jp and you'd see (no pics now ..sorry).  If I set the language to US then the characters and the correspondent keys would get all messed up (hence the issue here reported).  Now physical kb and input language are matching (again ..hence the trouble) and I am required to punch a special key (top left) in order to select teh English Romanji. Every time I skip a line or press enter it would switch again to Japanese anad a new punching would be required (top left).  It is insanely stressing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
32 25 0 5
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will have to try to find the app you mentioned and successfully install it. Will see..

Thanks for now.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation