Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Slate 21 s100
Android 4.4 KitKat

Our Slate 21 s100 has stopped functioning. It's getting stuck on the boot-up screen which shows the HP logo and then won't proceed past that. It was occasionally able to get past this stage in the recent past with a hard re-set (holding down power button for 10 secs and doing a restart), and a number of factory re-sets have been done (when booting was possible) to attempt to clean the machine. But we now seem to be in a state where the machine will not successfully boot at all. Issue started happening 3 or 4 weeks ago, so hasn't been a long-term thing. Device is less than 2 years old, so I'd hope it's not dead already!

***UPDATE***

Found the details on how to do a factory re-set without the device being on: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Slate-21-All-in-One-Series/5381150/model/5381151/document/c03...

So have done that, but am expecting the problems to continue (since I've already executed factory re-sets repeatedly to try and resolve the issue), so still need a solution.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi there @CPOz,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that your tablet is not starting consistently.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

From your description you have already done most of this, but maybe there is a power issue so you can look at that portion as well. HP Slate 21 All-in-One PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Android 4.2/Jelly Bean). If there is no change at all and you have tried all the recommended troubleshooting for the particular issue you are having then use the link toward the bottom to contact HP Support directly. There may be a hardware issue.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @Malygris1.

There isn't a power issue with the device. This is 100% a boot issue.

Here's some additional info to clarify.

This is the screen that the Slate 21 gets stuck on after the power button has been started:

IMG_20161026_111600.jpg

So if the boot loader is working OK you then see the animating coloured lines swirling around the HP logo. But that doesn't happen. You're stuck on this screen, and that's it. Goodnight Slate 21.

So.......this is what I've discovered does get the Slate 21 to then start:

Using the power + volume down button combo (when the Slate is off), if the "Restart bootloader" option is selected then the Slate 21 generally starts again OK, ie it runs through the full boot process without getting stuck on the screen shown above:

IMG_20161026_112509.jpg

HOWEVER, if "Start" is selected then it DOESN'T boot-up OK.

So the strong suggestion is that there is something wrong with the bootloader, which the action of re-starting the bootloader remedies 🙂

HP Recommended

Model: HP Slate 21 Pro

We're having the same problem: The tablet will not boot properly. It gets as far as the animated HP logo but then stalls. A factory reset (option 2) does not resolve the problem. 

The tablet has been running without any problems for the past 22 months.

Is this a hardware issue? And if we need a replacement, is the Slate 21 still available?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

@Ger_OBrien wrote:

Model: HP Slate 21 Pro

We're having the same problem: The tablet will not boot properly. It gets as far as the animated HP logo but then stalls. A factory reset (option 2) does not resolve the problem. 

The tablet has been running without any problems for the past 22 months.

Is this a hardware issue? And if we need a replacement, is the Slate 21 still available?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The HP Online store shows no Android devices at all... They have announced that they are "leaving the entry-level Android market", and their support sites are missing vital rebuild files needed by many users here.

It's your option to contact HP directly about paying for repair$, but it may not be worth it.  They will charge you just for the phone call (since your device is out of warranty).

To contact HP directly, click this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/support.html

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

I've found that if you unplug it, plug it back in, then hit the start button, it works. But upon next shutdown and restart, doesn't boot again. Unplug, plug in, hit start, repeat... (works for me, but the rest of my family members aren't gonna do this....)

HP Recommended
I’m having the exact same problem
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.