cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jasp05
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

HP Spectre X2 Detachable - m5-6y54 CPU - Note taking issues / very glitchy

HP Recommended
HP Spectre X2 Detachable - m5-
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

Ever since I purchased my Spectre X2 Detachable I've had alot of issues with note taking on it.

Anytime you go to write, it will randomly glitch and draw a big line up the screen, or not write anything on the screen. Also seems to be quite laggy when writing.  The little pointer it puts on the screen will constantly wander inches away from where I'm trying to write.

I should mention Im using a HP Active Stylus Pen which came with the device.  These are I'm assuming the identifiers of the pen.

FCC ID: HV4-HSTNN

MSIP - RRM - HV4 - HSTNN - W01P

I have gone through the handwriting options on the device and have tried to "train it" with the handwriting recognition stuff. I have done the calibration of the pen to the device. (which was pretty difficult to be honest. Wouldnt recognise my screen touches half the time because even when I hit the cross, my pointer was an inch away. )

However it is still awful for note taking, which eliminates half my use of the device.

I've previously used a Galaxy note 10.1 tablet and my Galaxy note 4 phone for note taking, and they were brilliant compared to this.

Does anyone know if a different stylus to the standard one will help the situation, is there some known driver issues? or is the tablet just that bad for note taking??    I literally cannot write a sentence on the screen without having some problem.

Do any of you have the same issues, or find a way to resolve it? or is there something wrong with the tablet itself?

Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,551 12,336 1,294 4,130
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jasp05,

I also have the Spectre X2 Detachable with pen and I cannot duplicate the problems you are having.

So I can only "guess" as to the issue. I have not seen this problem yet on these machines.

My first question is, does this only happen with one certain program or anything you do?

Second question is, is the pen faulty?

If the errors continue with any input you do for any program, You could try checking the Device Manager for any caution signs next to drivers.

You could try changing the batteries in the pen.

You could try restoring Windows back to factory (drastic measure but may be faster than sending the tablet in for warranty ).

Either way, I would talk to HP Support directly for a warranty issue. They may want to replace the pen.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
jasp05
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response Photoray. I have the problem with multiple programs. (onenote, other note taking apps, the handwriting recognition feature also displays the same problems).

I have checked the device manager and there are no red flags in there regarding driver updates.

I will try replacing the battery in the pen and see if that helps.

But would you be able to tell me the part number on the pen your using?  everything I've looked up on HP so far says that the pen they sell for this device is different to the one I have. If i type the id numbers into hp it brings up zero results.

Can anyone confirm the part number of the pen that works with this device ? I see the pen for the new elite x2 (which replaced the spectre?). are those pens compatible with the spectre?

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The id number you gave matches mine. Thing about the x2 spectre is, there is only one pen that will work on it. The other model works on all the other tablets. The Elite x2 pen does not work on the spectre. I personally tried it. I would contact support for a warranty issue. That's all I can do for you. Sorry.
0 Kudos
jasp05
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again Photoray.

If the Battery does not fix the issue then looks like i have to go the warranty route.

0 Kudos
jasp05
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery did not fix the issue.

Contacted HP support who couldn't resolve the problem, however they are sending me a new pen in the hopes this fixes the issue.

Will let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Good to know. Thanks
0 Kudos
jasp05
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Just an update on the above situation. I have recieved 2 replacment pens from HP now. Neither of which have resolved my issue.  (Dare I say the issue does not seem quite as bad, but none the less still unusable as a note taker. )

Is there any way that this could be a software issue with the tablet. All the touch features seem to work when using my finger, and due to this, the support guys seem to think its a faulty pen. (I'm struggling to see how I've received 3 faulty pens in a row...)

Getting quite fustrated now. Any ideas as to what could be the problem if its not the pen?   Screen? software?  

Hp remoted in and updated all the bios and drivers a week ago so I'm hoping they are not the problem.

0 Kudos
AlxInc
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I may have found a fix. Ensure that you are using the plug with the ground (3 prong) There seems to be a major grounding issue when charging, and its causing a lot of interference with the display. I know the woes of customer support. I stopped the torture when after 2 hours the guy said the issue was the palm sensor on the keyboard. That was detached.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation