cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nordnord
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post

HP Stream 7 Windows 10 Anniversary Edition Requirements

HP Recommended
HP Stream 7
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Windows 10 (build 10586) is what I have on my HP Stream 7. As I read the requirements for the Redstone release, aka Windows 10 Anniversary Edition build, I see that the minimum hardware requirement is now 2 Gigs RAM. As the Stream 7 maxs out at 1 Gig, what are we to do for future upgrades to Windows 10 on this tablet?

TKs.

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
lok71
Level 3
32 30 1 3
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Nordnord,

The tablet comes with windows 8.1 as deafault OS and you were able to install windows 10 on it.

Most probably this is anniversary update, you would be able to install it.

Have you tried installing it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
nordnord
Author
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@lok71 wrote:

Hi Nordnord,

The tablet comes with windows 8.1 as deafault OS and you were able to install windows 10 on it.

Most probably this is anniversary update, you would be able to install it.

Have you tried installing it?

Thanks

lok71

Not yet, as I do not want to brick the tablet. I was able, as you noted, to move from 8.1 to 10. Kept 8.1 using Media Creation Tool, etc. 

I have downloaded Windows10Upgrade28084.exe (version -1.4.9200.17346), a  5.52 meg upgrade file.  The attending FAQ said that this was only for 2 GIG hardware, so I have not yet tried to install it. I think I want to wait for some official recommendation from HP on this problem.

Tks much.

N

0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Actually the latest Windows 10 requirements state that only 1 GB is required for an update:

• RAM:

New device: 2 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 64-bit

Update: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

I was able to update my Stream 7 to Version 1607 using the latest downloadable ISO file from Microsoft and it seems to be running fine.  I burned the ISO file to a USB drive and then ran the setup.exe file from Windows.

I also did a fresh installation by booting from the USB and then wiping all the partitions off the disk. This installation completed successfully as well. 

I was verifying whether an update or fresh install will halt if the system has less than 2 GB of RAM.  It was fine with the Stream tablet's 1 GB in both cases.

After booting and settling down for a few minutes, Task Manager shows around 475 or 951 MB of RAM utilized.  Running Edge with 2 tabs open settles down to around 525 MB total and spikes as high as 800 MB when loading some high content media sites.  With just the News app running it uses around 650 MB total while actively browsing some news pages. 

It does not appear that the Anniversary Update uses substantially more RAM than previous releases as far as I can tell so far.

lok71
Level 3
32 30 1 3
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I  can see lesser RAM and CPU utilizations in Anniversary update, I agree with you, may be microsoft has managed to remove certain services or clubbed some others, overall RAM optimization has been improved in Anniversary Update.

You wont regret if you go for Anniversay update.

Thanks

lokesh

0 Kudos
nordnord
Author
Level 1
14 12 0 0
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@lok71 wrote:

Hi All,

I  can see lesser RAM and CPU utilizations in Anniversary update, I agree with you, may be microsoft has managed to remove certain services or clubbed some others, overall RAM optimization has been improved in Anniversary Update.

You wont regret if you go for Anniversay update.

Thanks

lokesh

lok71,

I  was going to go for the update, but then I read this from Woody, the alltime Windows guru IMO.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3104389/microsoft-windows/the-case-against-windows-10-anniversary-u...

However, I do like your post about lessened RAM and CPU hits, so....

0 Kudos
Sundog1966
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The windows 10 Aniversary update site  notes that Microsoft has changed the minimum requiremnents for 32 hardware to receive and install the tupdate. You need 2Gb of RAM and 20Gb of free available Hard Drive space. Given that the memory requirements can not be met  by the Stream 7 I would  be tempted to suggest that it will not install.

I spoketo an employee at a MS Store here in Toronto on the 7th of August before the official release of the update on the ninth.  He told me that if I download package directly it and install it  on my own without going through the  windows update services then  I am accepting responsability for any consequences of attempting to install an unoffical release; that includes damage to my hardware, loss of data and  problems resulting from inherant incompatabilities of obsolete or not officially supported hardware that appears on the Microsoft Certifed Hardware list (The HP streasm 7 is not officially supported by MS). 

Off the record he suggested that I go buy a new  tablet that has Windows 10 pre-installed on it; since it is unlikely the any tablets other than the surface books and the MS csurface tablets will ever be officially supported.

I have the same problem with my Acer tablets.  They are obsolete and will not be tested or certified for compatability with any version of the operating system other than that with which it shipped.

In otherword go buy new hardware and scrap the HP tablet.  You will now have to buy a new HP tablet that ships with windows 10 Aniversary edition on it in order to  certify compatabiltiy with the hardware and any upgrades above and beyon the OS that was shipped by the manufacturer will not be certfied or supported and they are not being held legally liable for support of  software updates after the point of manufacturing.

0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As stated above the Window 10 specification site mentions that 1 GB is  supported for an update and I can confirm the Anniversary update installs and runs well on my Stream 7.

0 Kudos
Sundog1966
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification.  I was actually basing my comments on this article: http://betanews.com/2016/05/23/windows-10-anniversary-update-hardware-requirements/

When I talke to the technical person here at the Microsoft store about using a USB key he said it would be a clean install and that I would lose all mny data, apps and configuration settings. He said I might be able to use the mobile version when it comes out on the 16th.

Losing my data, apps, and confguration does not asound like an upgrade lol.

0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I created the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition install USB and ran the setup.exe file on it while booted into Windows and it updated Windows in-place so nothing was lost. 

I then booted directly from the same USB and wiped all partitions off of the drive for a clean install (drivers have to be reinstalled and all data is lost of course) so i can confirm that it works well both ways.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation