cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
teddystiles
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Stream 7 Windows Key

HP Recommended

I installed the Windows 10 Insider Preview to my HP Stream 7 from a USB drive. When the RTM was released, I also installed it from a USB drive.

The Windows 10 RTM is asking for a key (the Insider Preview never did). I obviously don't have a Windows 10 key, and since I upgraded from the Insider Preview instead of from Windows 8.1, I can see why it couldn't find my Windows 8.1 key.

I've tried to roll back to 8.1, but my only recovery options are to repair/restore Windows 10, so I'm guessing either the Insider Preview or the RTM wiped out my recovery partition.

I obviously paid for the OS when I bought the tablet, so what are my options?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

-

0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I believe you would have to use a recovery USB of Windows 8.1 with Bing and then upgrade that to Windows 10 and let it activate.  At that point you could then wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Windows 10 and it should then activate from what I have been reading, I have not had a chance to try it on my Stream 7 yet.

0 Kudos
teddystiles
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes, that's exactly what Id do if I had a recovery USB. Since I don't, I suppose I could try to obtain one from somewhere, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have my key on it. Will HP or MS be able to provide that to me? I've looked under "devices" at account.microsoft.com, and the tablet is listed there as a Windows 10 device - but it does list the serial number, if that's helpful.
0 Kudos
kyle_b
Level 10
1,591 1,581 133 312
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The license key is actually stored on the system board of each Stream 7, not within the Windows 8.1 with Bing recovery image.

0 Kudos
teddystiles
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks! I was able to hunt down an 8.1 recovery image for the HP Stream 7, so I should be all set.

0 Kudos
teddystiles
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I lied. Whenever I boot from my Windows 8.1 recovery USB now, I get to this screen: IMAG01968.jpg

Obviously, these are all Windows 10 options. If I tap "Use a device"  and choose "EFI USB Device," it just reboots and brings me back to this page.

Can someone give me a step-by-step of getting Windows 8.1 back on my computer?

0 Kudos
horseland
Level 1
7 5 0 2
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

can you hit trouble shoot to reinstall if you have the 8.1 usb installation stick plugged in. It should give option to target wipe the window 10 os . at least it worked for me 

0 Kudos
teddystiles
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Troubleshoot only gives me two options: Refresh and reset. Both ask me to choose the target OS, and Windows 10 is the only option. Under "Advanced Options," there are five options, but none really offers an option to wipe Windows 10: System restore, system image recovery, startup repair, command prompt, and uefi firmware settings. Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
horseland
Level 1
7 5 0 2
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the reset >>>target OS option "window 10 " means it will wipe out window 10  I was also confused at first then i ask here someone told me . so i believe that is the option you want

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation