Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Teacher
Teacher
83 78 4 8
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Stream 8 (5901) users (and perhaps others) beware the Windows 10 update for Goodix Touch HID!

HP Stream 8 (5901)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

This morning I connected my Stream 8 via WiFi and ran Windows Update (the first time in a few days). It downloaded several updates including one which was a Goodix Touch Controller Driver Update from Shenzhen Huiding Technology Co. Ltd. Also Fujitsu Limited driver update for System Firmware (don't ask me why an HP tablet is updating itself with Fujitsu Firmware). After the update was installed, the touchscreen completely stopped responding.

IF you get this problem, the solution is quite simple if you have a USB mouse and keyboard. Plug them into the Streams USB port so you can regain control of the tablet, navigate to the HP Driver download site for your tablet and get the relevant Goodix Touch driver (in my tablets case for Windows 10 it's named SP72185.exe). After running this the screens touch sensor functionality will be back to normal.

I'm unsure what difference(s) the Fujitsu update made but at least the tablet is working again. I've cancelled my Windows  insider membership but did report this anomoly to Microsoft via a webform but if any HP staff happen to come across this post, please follow this up with your Microsoft contacts so they don't send out the wrong driver updates to Stream tablet users. Not everyone has a USB mouse or keyboard to regain control and fix the issue.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 303
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Stream 8 (5901) users (and perhaps others) beware the Windows 10 update for Goodix Touch HID!

Yes, thanks for reporting that, it apparently also just happened to another person in this thread with a Stream 7 who also fixed it by reinstalling the Goodix touchscreen driver from the hp.com site. 

Also worth mentioning is that a OTG adapter is required to connect standard USB devices to Stream tablets since there is no conventional USB port.

Teacher
Teacher
83 78 4 8
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for acknowledging this and replying kyle_b. I saw that subject post but didn't look further because it didn't mention a non-responsive touch screen in the heading or anything that would indicate the actual nature of the problem. It's really important that Microsoft only releases driver updates when they are sure it won't cause a whole segment of PCs or tablets to suddenly be rendered unusable (without work to repair them at least).

Although I have an OTG cable, I didn't actually need it to connect my Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse combo. I use a 4 Port USB 2 Hub which also allows charging either of my Streams at the same time things are connected (I have a Stream 8 and a Stream 7) and that takes care of the port size issues as the cable that plugs into the tablet is microUSB but the 4 ports available on the hub are regular USB A female ports - its proven much more usefull than a plain old OTG cable ever could be.

For now my HP Stream 7 isn't going on-line until I'm sure Microsoft have removed this driver 'upgrade' (or at least broken the link that makes their server think it suits the HP Stream 8 and 7 tablets).

atek99 Tutor
Tutor
8 6 1 2
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Had exact same problem as above with HP stream 8. Was able to get back in with bluetooth keyboard and mouse i had previously paired to unit and then reinstalled proper drivers Windows 10 also downloaded the wrong camera driver that prevented my camera from working. Ahh Microsoft, you are making my choice between android tablets and windows Tablets all the easier.
Teacher
Teacher
83 78 4 8
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that additional feedback about Microsoft updates stopping your Stream 8 Camera from working. Thats strange because the camera on my Stream 8 has been working fine all along (I've just tested it now too).  In device Manager I have 3 Camera related devices:  Under Imaging devices there's Intel AVStream Camera Driver ver 20.10154.5740.705, Under System devices there are two Camera Sensor Unicam listings both with driver ver 20.0.13.1. Have you since fixed your camera? What are the respective driver versions otherwise and have you tried individually updating the drivers in device manager over the internet if they're not the above versions?

Some time ago I did come across an updated bundle of Windows 10 drivers which were for an Intel Atom powered Tablet of some type and they seemed to work with my Stream so they're stuck. Unfortunately the Win 10 Stream Tablet listings on HPs website are now very old and a search of the web yeilds many newer (and less buggy) drivers. My Stream 7 had flakey WiFi connectivity for a long time but a newer Realtek RTL87238BS driver, version 3008.33 430.2016 fixed this.

I wish HP would take steps to upgrade their driver offerings so people dont have to look elsewhere or Microsoft Windows Update doesn't try its own version of driver 'updates'.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9082 8949 841 2561
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Funny, it hasn't happened to mine and its fully updated. But good to know if it does.

Hm, maybe nows a good time to buy some of those lottery tickets. 

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
83 78 4 8
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Maybe there are tablet model number, regional or language differences that explain this? My Stream 8 is an imported model 5901 which was a US market device originally but I'm based in the UK with UK English regionalisation. Otherwise, after my numerous contacts with Microsoft as soon as I discovered the problem, the penny may have dropped and  Microsoft may have realised these specific 'driver updates' are'nt suitable for the Stream tablets and corrected things on their server. If you didn't connect to the internet while the driver updates were live, that would explain things. I'm still going to give it some more time before I connect my Stream 7 to the internet and let it update. Do you have Fujitsu as the Manufacturer for System Firmware in device manager? My Stream 7 still has the 2006 Microsoft entry for this with 'no driver installed' when I delve deeper. I'm unsure what HP provide to overwrite this on my Stream 8 and when I uninstall it in device manager, when the tablet reboots, the same entry comes back. It doesn't seem to be posing any problems or causing changes but I just don't like the idea of something thats clearly not meant for this tablet being installed on it.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 303
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also make sure the latest BIOS firmware is installed if you have not already. 

There were some BIOS updates for the Stream tablets specifically for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
83 78 4 8
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Funny, it hasn't happened to mine and its fully updated.

I've discovered the Stream 7 uses a different Goodix Touch HID driver to the Stream 8 and after some testing (while on the phone with Tech Support), I found my Stream 7 is NOT affected. The Stream 8 however will get this duff driver every time if you attempt to update the driver from Device Manager by letting it get the driver from the internet (the 'forced' update has only happened to me once however). Does this help to expliain things for you Photoray002 if you have a Stream 8?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9082 8949 841 2561
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Flying_Kiwi wrote:

I've discovered the Stream 7 uses a different Goodix Touch HID driver to the Stream 8 and after some testing (while on the phone with Tech Support), I found my Stream 7 is NOT affected.

Does this help to expliain things for you Photoray002 if you have a Stream 8?

If you are offended by my post, that wasn't the intention.

I am merely stating that I have a Stream 8 (not 7)  and I updated mine exactly as you described in your first post. My touch screen was not affected as yours was. Just an observation.

As far as updating from the device manager, that isnt what you say you had done originally. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the 7 and 8 touch drivers are completely different other than then have a different file name. But I don't advocate someone switch them when they can just go to the correct page to begin with so I don't understand the point of your reply to me. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation