cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP50g

HP Recommended

I have had my HP50g calculator for about 18 months (so 6 months out of warranty).

Having returned to using the calculator after a break of about 3 weeks and tried turning it on I found it was dead - as in it wouldn't turn on or respond in any way. Tried hard resetting (button on back) but no change.

Upon removing the batteries and plugging into a phone charger via USB the calc works.

I spoke to someone at HP support but no authorised service centre exists apparently.

Does anybody have any experience with a HP50g that suddenly won't work from battery power? Hate to think this calc was useless to me (needs to be mobile) as before this problem I loved it.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 8
594 581 113 191
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the remote possibility that the cause is a simple one, please check the following.

1.  Did you test the batteries, or try batteries that are known to be strong?  "New" isn't good enough.

2. Did you check to make sure that all four cells were installed in the correct direction? Top down, they should be pointing right, left, right, left.

3. Are the battery terminals clean? Try buffing them with a pencil eraser.

4. Is there a buggy library in memory? After powering up via USB, go into the Filer and clear all libraries from ports 0, 1, and 2, except for the two EQLIB libraries and the PRTBL library.

5. Is there a short-circuited SD card in the card slot? Try removing it.

If none of those help, try powering up via USB, then press ON and F6 at the same time. This will briefly display your version and build number, then a diagnostic menu. Press 8 to start the Power test. In the middle of the screen you will see "USB POWER WORK", and the number near the bottom of the screen should be somewhere between 3FF (full-power batteries) and lower 300's (almost dead).  Now unplug the USB cable; if that line changes to "BATTERY NORMAL", then all is ok; press ENTER then ON to reboot back to normal on battery power.  However, if the screen goes blank when you unplug the cable, then your 50g is probably physically broken somewhere, such as a battery terminal wire.

Please let us know the result of the above tests, especially the number shown on the second-to-last line of the Power test screen.  If it is very low, then no power is getting from the batteries to the circuitry.

-Joe-
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation