cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Florangel
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

I bought my sister a HP Pavilion laptop. She is technically challenged. She made up an email and pas

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n019wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I bought my sister an HP Pavilion laptop a couple years back. She has no technical skills. She made up an email and password but doesn't remember her password. I've tried F11 on startup to set laptop to factory settings. It didn't work. Nothing has worked! Please help!!!!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,584 90,461 11,638 24,935
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did she use Microsoft account email ? Please try

https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

If other account, what is it ? Gmail, Yahoo ....

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Florangel
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me.  

My sister used an account she didn't have, outlook.com. Since I posted my question, I've found out more.

While trying to do a system default restore, using F11 on startup. There was a dialog box that reads: System restore could not be completed, due to an antivirus program not allowing it,

I asked my sister re antivirus program. She used a trial version of Norton

Is the laptop a total loss?

0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,584 90,461 11,638 24,935
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Florangel wrote:

... My sister used an account she didn't have, outlook.com....

Hi,

Outlook.com account is a Microsoft account. Please use above instructions to reset her password. She can use per phone and Microsoft will send more information for her to unlock her account and reset password.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation