Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
envy Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there an easy way to turn the touchpad on/off? Is there (or can there be) a button that will easily do this? Can I reprogram a function key (F12) with a macro that will do this? If so, what is the macro

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Frankie_D

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand you need information on an easy way to turn off the touchpad temporarily,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

Is there any particular reason you would want to turn off the touchpad?

Did you check the Synaptics touchpad settings on your PC to make these changes?

While you respond to that, follow the below steps and you'll be good to go Smiley Happy 

1. On some touchpads, you can turn on or off the Touchpad by double tapping in the upper left corner of the Touchpad. Double tap to turn the Touchpad on, repeat to turn the Touchpad off. 

Figure : Touchpad On/Off Switch

2. Perform a hard reset by following the steps in the HP document Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset (in English). A hard reset clears the driver instructions. Your computer re-reads all instructions from the drivers and software stored in the Operating System which can solve some problems. 

3. Be sure you have the latest drivers for your Touchpad. Use the following steps to install the latest drivers. 

1. Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads web page. Enter your computer model number and then click Go. 

2. Select your computer model from the list of results. 

3. Select your operating system from the drop-down menu and then click Next. 

4. Scroll down to select the driver category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices. 

5. Click the Download button next to the appropriate TouchPad or ClickPad driver. The file downloads to your Downloads folder 

6. Open your Downloads folder and double-click to install the latest driver. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation. 

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.​​​​​​​

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.