Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad0xx

Brand new laptop, 3 days old.  Every now and again (usually while watching netflix) A black line appears about an inch down from the top of the screen, then the screen gradually fades to complete darkness but the audio continues. Screen also becomes complete unresponsive to mouse and touch. I then have to restart the laptop, log back on and it works again. I thought it might have been an issue with the netflix app, but it happens both on the app and when using internet explorer.  Any suggestions on why this is happening and how to stop it?

Many thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@EG2

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad0xx series laptop. I read that while watching Netflix, a black line appears from the top of the screen and then the screen fades to black. The screen is unresponsive to the mouse and touches. The issue persists while using a web browser too. However, the audio continues. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Please let me know the exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • What version of Windows are you using?
  • Did any software changes or updates happen on the laptop recently?
  • How is the performance while playing Youtube videos and games?

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Please uninstall the graphics drivers by following the below steps:

• Open the device manager. 

Figure : Example of the Display adapters

Device Manager with display adapter selected

• Expand "Display adapters". Right click on the display adapter drivers that are listed and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager after the display drivers are uninstalled.
  • Restart the laptop. During the restart, Windows will automatically reinstall the display drivers.

If the issue persists then please update the BIOS, Chipset drivers and graphics drivers by searching for them via this link: www.hp.com/drivers

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.