cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
munr
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Laptop won't turn on and power light flashes orange continuously

HP Recommended
Elitebook x360 1040 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an HP Elitebook x360 1040 G5.

Performed (or attempted to perform) a BIOS update a couple of nights ago after getting a prompt to do so in Windows. Stepped away after that so not sure if it failed or succeeded, but the next morning, the machine was completely dead and would not power on.  The power light on the right hand side next to the USB-C port now flashes orange continuously with no pattern or fixed number of flashes.

When I hold down the power button, it stops flashing after 10-15 times, and then starts again when I let go of the power button.  Occasionally when trying this, after letting go of the power button and pressing it again, it'll start flashing orange and white briefly (maybe 4-5 times) and then stop completely with no flashing light.  Haven't figured out exactly what sequence causes this behavior or how to reproduce it, but when it does happen, pressing the power button again afterwards results in the previous behavior starting again with the continuously flashing orange light and a completely unresponsive machine.

They keyboard also lights up for a short period when trying the above and getting the flashing white & orange light.  Usually comes on for a few seconds, and then turns off with the caps lock light on for a second or two, after which that also goes off.

I've tried holding down Win+B and Win+V to get into BIOS, but the machine is completely unresponsive at this point and ignoring all user input.  The only sign of life is the flashing orange light.  Screen and keyboard show nothing whatsoever.

Is there anything else I can try to get the machine operational again?

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation