Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite X3
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

On HP Elite X3 it updated the mail app last night to17.8241.40786.0  and since then, the mail app is not launchable in continuum.

I also reproduced this on my old Lumia 950XL, it had been off for 2 weeks, I pulled it out, launched continuum, launch mail, no problems. Updated mail app to latest, mail no longer launches in continuum mode.
This is a HUGE problem as I rely on continuum for my small business, and it seems reproducible. Is anyone else seeing this?

To be clear, when hooked up in continuum, you still can launch mail on the phone screen. but trying to launch mail on your external continuum display, crashes.
I tried wired and wireless continuum dock modes and different monitors, MS display dock (with the 950xl), lapdock, and thru the HP desk dock. All have the issue. launch mail, you see outlook logo for a second, and back to home screen or whatever screen you were on. I rebooted, no change in behavior.

I also contacted a friend of mine who uses continuum, he has the same issue. This seems a clear bug in the latest mail app.

This is production build10.0.15063.414

THis makes continuum unsuable without email. Is there any way to get MS to fix this? I've tried their support, that's basically worthless, they pass you arond and eventually give you to b2x which is hardware for lumia phones. Ok, if that's MS support model for supporting windows mobile, mabye I'll try to take it up with HP and see if they have some line to MS to get the mail app developers to fix this?

I dunno where to go with it.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

New mail app came today for non-insiders. 17.8241.41106.0. Still the problem exists. Boooooo

HP Recommended

This is sadly true! My entire investment X3, Lapdock etc was for nothing if they continousely crash this stuff. Even worse, that it was a joy to use till early May, then the mess started and if it goes on, even me will soon be Android....

HP Recommended

Even worse! I just realized, that the mouse-pad of my Lapdock isn't working anymore either. What is HP doing??? Are they still supporting the X3 and it's assecories???

@Legacy135 wrote:

This is sadly true! My entire investment X3, Lapdock etc was for nothing if they continousely crash this stuff. Even worse, that it was a joy to use till early May, then the mess started and if it goes on, even me will soon be Android....

HP Recommended

New mail app came today for non-insiders. 17.8241.41126.0. Still the problem exists. Boooooo

Thankfully I havent had any issue with the touchpad. I do notice it's a little fininky in wireless mode when you first connect it. I usually connect it, swipe the touch pad a couple times and it's all crazy then let it sit for 15s and it's fine.

I also noticed updating the firmware helps. There seems to be two, wireless and wired.

Wireless you connect in wireless mode then hit the hp lapdock wireless settings app. CLick on firmware update and it'll tell you if your at latest. I think this firmware is only the wireless connection firmware.

Wired mode you connected in wired mode and go to hp device hub, wait for your lapdock to appear and it'll tell you what firmware and if it's up to date. I think this firmware is the actual lapdock operating firmware. So even if you use wireless mode, it may help to update this firmware.

HP Recommended

Very very disappointing....another update to the Outlook Mail APP came yesterday. Guess what..... the Lapdock will still not launch the Outlook Mail. This is really not what I did expect from a manufacturer as HP. Very obviously they neither read our postings, nor care about.

It's quite obvious, that all of us, who bought an X3 with Lapdock and all the gizmos, just lost the money. If HP hasn't given up this product, the Mail up would have been fixed real fast, finally exactly this function is one of the strong arguments of this combo.

Now the mail APP isn't working anymore....... guess whats next.... :Crying:

@73blazer wrote:

New mail app came today for non-insiders. 17.8241.41126.0. Still the problem exists. Boooooo

Thankfully I havent had any issue with the touchpad. I do notice it's a little fininky in wireless mode when you first connect it. I usually connect it, swipe the touch pad a couple times and it's all crazy then let it sit for 15s and it's fine.

I also noticed updating the firmware helps. There seems to be two, wireless and wired.

Wireless you connect in wireless mode then hit the hp lapdock wireless settings app. CLick on firmware update and it'll tell you if your at latest. I think this firmware is only the wireless connection firmware.

Wired mode you connected in wired mode and go to hp device hub, wait for your lapdock to appear and it'll tell you what firmware and if it's up to date. I think this firmware is the actual lapdock operating firmware. So even if you use wireless mode, it may help to update this firmware.

HP Recommended

I do have an open case with HP for a couple weeks now.

I was re-assured today that HP R&D has been in contact with MS, they've reproduced the issue. They know about it. MS is working on it and a patch to the mail app  is forthright, although no ETA as of yet.

HP Recommended

Outlook is also crashing for me when I launch it from the Lap Dock via Continuum. Hopefully the fix will come soon.

HP Recommended

By the way, the mail app through the deskdock is working well on my display with continuum. Its only not opening on my lapdock via continuum.

Greeting Erik

HP Recommended

Same for me - Mail app works with Desk Dock but crashes with Lap Dock.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.