cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Willard_1 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Multiple Shoddy Palm Pre Refurbs = Extreme Frustration

I just want to share my experience with the Palm Pre hardware:

Brought my Pre (Sprint) without any kind of subsidy about 2 months ago. I was really happy with the phone for the first 6 weeks and then without ever being dropped or abused it developed a crack in the upper right hand corner of the front casing, it looks like a stress fracture. So I took it to a Sprint repair center and they told me that it being cracked was a sign of abuse and so they would not replace it under warranty. Called Palm directly and they wanted me to send the phone off before they would ship me a refurb, I refused and received a questionnaire in my email which I answered honestly, stating my dissatisfaction. A Palm customer service rep called me back after receiving the questionnaire and persuaded me to agree to an advance exchange where I wouldf be sent a refurbished Pre in advance of sending off my Pre. I had my misgivings about trading a refurbished Pre for an almost new Pre that I had paid my hard earned cash for and had treated like 'GOLD' but the rep insisted the refurb would be indistinguishable from new... yeah right. It wasnt and neither were the next 2 that Palm have sent me:

Refurb 1: Massive oreo and 2mm gap down left hand side.

Refurb 2: (hand tested) marginal Oreo, 1mm gap down left hand side.

Refurb 3: Loose slider, antenna is all worn and pitted. Not willing to take chance of what that will do to reception.

I have not even got to the activation stage with these phones, I hate to think what I would find if I did. I have wasted hours of my time on the phone with Palm and they insist they can ONLY send me a refurb to replace an almost new Phone that I babied and which had a manufacturing fault. I have NEVER dealt with a company that cannot send out a replacement product comparable to the defective product, even if that means a NEW product. Two weeks earlier and I could have taken it back to Sprint and exchanged it for a new (different) **bleep** phone.

This is just so dissapointing. I just wanted to let people know if your Pre has a defect that manifests just outside of the 30 day return period you are screwed. Palm will just replace it with crappy refurb after crappy refurb. I guess I just take my chances with the crack not reaching the digitizer and if it does I pay out of pocket for a moment or Evo.

I am just so dissapointed that neither Palm or Sprint will replace the product I paid $500 for with a comparable (new) replacement when it is NOT MY FAULT the screen developed a crack. What a waste of my time, effort and money.

Post relates to: Pre p100eww (Sprint)

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Intern
Intern
18 18 0 8
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's the same with O2 in the UK. Can you imagine a car manufacturer offering you a used car as a replacement if your new one kept breaking? You'd laugh at them. They claim that it is because of government recycling legislation, but it's really just a cheap cop out.

0 Kudos
jcknight Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Willard,

I've had a similar frustrating situation with Palm refurbs.  I purchased a Sprint Pre 1 1/2 months after launch, and began having issues with the headphone jack generating intensely annoying feedback to the point that I couldn't use the jack to listen to music or take phone calls.  I decided to take the phone into a Sprint Repair Center within warranty and they replaced it with a refurb #1 that "looked new" but started to oreo almost immediately.  Within a week, I was back at the Sprint Repair Center and they ordered me another refurb (#2) that I just picked up last week.  2 days in and the power button stops responding completely.  Another trip back to the Sprint Repair Center and another refurb order (for #3).  Now I'm out of warranty and reliant that Sprint/Palm will eventually get me a legitimate refurb that doesn't have issues (I'm starting to think this is unlikely).  I can't believe how poor the quality of Palm's refurbs are.  When I first got the phone I used to promote it heavily to friends and family, and now I regret being such a staunch Palm supporter.  It's unfathomable how their hardware is just absolutely lacking in any quality control.  I've got another year under contract and am looking forward to getting out of this refurb hell and onto another phone vendor that hopefully takes better pride and stands by the quality of their products.  

0 Kudos
fionis99 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have a launch day pre that has just developed the USB crack. Like others, I have not abused this phone at all! Sprint has offered to cover 75% of the $100 deductible. I was satisfied with this until I started reading through these forums and realized that they were replacing the phone with a refurbished one. Is this always the case? I don't know if I want to trade my cracked phone for one that may have way more problems and have to pay for it! I agree VERY FRUSTRATING! They gave me the run around at the store as well. All the guy said "well $100 is better than paying $500." Which if they replace it with a refurbished phone anyways becomes irrelevant!! Either way, I'm not paying for insurance anymore, it is a joke!

Thanks for reading! :smileyhappy:

Fiona

0 Kudos
anderja Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same nightmare with my Pre...and all of the replacements Sprint has thrown my way. First phone, touchscreen stops working. Second phone, backlight breaks two hours after I leave the Sprint Repair Center. Third phone, touchscreen stops working three weeks later. I am so tired of this. I have over a year left on the contract. I am SO tired of dragging in my four kids to the store (one of whom has special needs and is hard to cart around) week after week. Such a bad product with even more terrible "solutions".

0 Kudos
fireinspector Top Student
Top Student
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I sympathize with you 100%.  Five months into my *NEW* purchase I am already into my 2nd refurbished replacement device.  The only good thing is my carrier (Verizon) has told me that if they have to replace my Palm Pre again they will give me the option of going with a different manufacturer such as the Droid or BlackBerry.  Says something to me; that Verizon is getting tired of replacing these phones and is willing to have their customers switch.  I will probably take them up on that because I’m getting tired of having my *NEW* phone replaced with USED devices every 2-3 months.  By the end of my contract I figured I would have gone through 8 phones – totally unacceptable to me. 

The sad thing is that back in March when I got my Pre I was also excited.  I’ve had Palm products in the past and have always had a good experience with them.  In fact I was under the impression that Palm had gone under because every time I checked Verizon’s web site never saw any Palms listed since I got my Treo back in 2008.  I love the Palm Pre but hate the reliability and build quality.  I have told a couple people looking at a smartphone to stay away from Palm because of the issues I’ve been having.  And when my contract is finally up in 19 months I will NOT even consider any Palm devices simply because of my experience with the Pre.  About the only way I will get a Palm is if I can get one without a 2-year commitment and not pay full price.  Maybe Palm will throw me (and all the rest of us who have had these issues) a bone and offer the next generation Palm at a reduced price to win back some disappointed customers.  But won’t hold my breath!

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
28 22 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm on my 6th replacement phone with the 7th on the way, and I have to believe that all I am getting is phones with the same problems other people returned them for.

Last week, my volume control icon stayed on the screen so I couldn't easily access my menu buttons, so they ordered me a replacement phone. I get it a few days later, and take it home and set it up (takes time) and the next day I try my bluetooth and it had so much static it was unusable.  Back to Sprint the next day and after 2 hours waiting they say they are ordering me a new replacement phone.

It is a joke, and my son-in-law who switched his Pre for an Evo thinks I'm nuts for not switching. I have to admit they are wearing me out, but when it is working, I like my Pre a lot, but it is getting old

Palm ought to actually repair the phones instead of just making them look like new :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
fionis99 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well after all this, one day my power button broke. As my last resort I went to a repair Sprint Store (about an hour and a half away). The employee told me the power button was a known issue and they would repair it. I inquired about the USB crack to see what his response would be and he said unfortunately that was a cosmetic issue (he seemed to be on my side from his response). I just accepted that and decided I would just wait for my contract to get a new phone. To my happy surprise I came back later that day and they replaced my phone! I don't think it is refurbed since it is scratchless and everything seems new on it. I went online and bought a touchstone right away so I don't have to open that stupide USB flap which I'm sure wasn't helping the crack. I'm happy since I do love my Pre! Giving it another shot!! :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
rodomnj Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I feel your pain - honestly I do!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation