Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elite X2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My office recently purchased 7 Elite X2 Tablets.

I’m trying to create our master image for the tablets, and we’ve decided that we will allow the users to use fingerprint login to use one-step logon to the tablet and Windows 10. The problem is that we normally have a hard drive password for all our machines that we can get into the tablet to reimage it, or if the user is dismissed, etc.

So, I initially set the password to our organization one, but as soon as the user inputs their credentials/fingerprints in Windows the tablet’s boot up password changes as well.

How can I allow my users to still sign into the machine while providing the IT department with a maintenance back door?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Weird, I had to change my screen name to reply.  Anyhow, if you get this issue the workaround seems to be to create an administrator account and set it to use a password.  Then you can choose at tablet boot which user you want to use.  It's a little slower as it seems to take a few seconds longer to select between multiple users in the bios start sequence, but it's better than not being able to get into a machine if the user account attached to the machine becomes unaccessible for some reason.

(ie - If you change the password in the AD account you won't be able to pick up the new password because it's cached from the previous sign in.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.