Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion running Windows 10

Ok hello

ive had this HP pavilion for ages now running Windows 10. Recently it started acting very slow and it would load up apps and stuff. I turned it off and turned it back on and it came up with a recovery thing. I pretty much tried all of the advanced options on it to get my laptop working again. I tried resetting the whole PC but after half an hour it said that it had failed. I then tried going back to a time where the computer was working but that didn't work. So basically I tried another option on this huge list of options. The PC said it would take over an hour to complete. It's been half a day now and it's still going. My PC suddenly turned off for some reason and now im left with an continuous messege saying 'The selected boot drive failed' press enter to continue. So I press enter and it turns my PC off. I waited 15 mins and the PC didn't turn back on. So I turned it back on and the same error messege came back up. I clicked enter again but it switched off and I had to turn it back on. The only option I have is to hit enter which turns it off. 

Someone please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Josh2608

Thanks for replying with the information.

As @Chimney_83 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. 

If the hard drive test has failed then the only option is to replace the hard drive and the data will be lost. There are data backup options available at third party computer repair places but you need to explore them on your own. 

Secondly, if the hard drive test did not run at all then you may try to reseat the hard drive in the laptop. Certain laptops have reseatable hard drivers. 

For getting the hard drive replaced, you may reach out to HP phone support. 

Hope this information helps. Feel free to keep in touch for any questions. Good luck! 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings @Josh2608

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer is no longer booting, you have tried all the repair options and now you get Boot device failed message. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you run a diagnostics on your computer?

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Recommend you boot the computer to BIOS by tapping F10 repeatedly on startup. 

Restore the BIOS to defaults, save and exit BIOS and check. 

Run a system test on your computer by entering the computer to system diagnostics by tapping F2 repeatedly on startup. Click here for assistance. 

If any of the tests fail, please contact our phone support for the service options available. 

Let me know how it goes.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I'm so sorry I didn't reply. I didn't think people wou

d get back to me so I didn't check so I'm sorry for misjudging. Anyway I called HP support person and he told me to spam f1 on boot up to get my serial number which I gave to him. Next I spammed f2 to bring up this other panel where I started a hard drive test. The test did not work so he said my hard drive is broken. I was wondering if I will loose all of my data inside and if there is any possible way I can fix this at home and not have to pay for a new hard drive.

sorry it took a while to get back to you.

Josh

HP Recommended

@Josh2608

Thanks for replying with the information.

As @Chimney_83 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. 

If the hard drive test has failed then the only option is to replace the hard drive and the data will be lost. There are data backup options available at third party computer repair places but you need to explore them on your own. 

Secondly, if the hard drive test did not run at all then you may try to reseat the hard drive in the laptop. Certain laptops have reseatable hard drivers. 

For getting the hard drive replaced, you may reach out to HP phone support. 

Hope this information helps. Feel free to keep in touch for any questions. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks everyone, i will lol try your methods and hope for the best really. Thank you for all of your help. 

HP Recommended

@Josh2608

You're most welcome.

All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.