Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11.6 11-d010nr with 32GB eMMC HD
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot update to the latest WIN10 64bit security upgrade because it needs 8GB free space and I have only 4.5 GB free.  I have deleted everything I can think of in my 32GB eMMC chip based HD.  I upgraded to WIN10 from the native Win8 last year.  Are there hidden pieces left that I can delete?  Can I delete (or copy to a USB drive) some pieces of Win10 and put them back later if I have room?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@mcc5559b

This is the most crazy thing on earth when Microsoft forced hardware vendors to have 32GB storage machines and give no solution on this. Please try

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2017/jan/05/what-is-the-best-way-to-deal-with-windows...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

That's for the quick reply.  And thanks for the informative link.  I noticed on the link the first screenshot showed 16.4 GB used.  This makes me think that computer was running Win10 32 bit.  I'm running the 64bit version on my HP Stream 11 which I believe is a 20GB install.  Anyway, I was able to get it up to 8.4GB and reran the update.  It got past the memory test, downloaded the software and began to install it.  At some point in the installation I got a screen with "Something went wrong" in large blue text and below it in smaller black text "Not enough disk space, please run Disk Cleanup and try again...error code0x80070070."  It seems Windows changed it's mind midstream about having enough free memory.  So I went back and cut and pasted the ESD folder, the swsetup folder, and a piece of one of the User folders ( two users with one which no longer uses the machine- I tried to delete the user account but Windows wouldn't let me nor would it let me delete the folder but I could cut and paste a ~400MB part of it) to a USB drive and got up to 8.95GB free.  I repeated the update process and watched it carefully as it passed through the memory test, the download and began the install.  This time it quit at 43% and gave the same message.  A Google search on the error code suggested a lack of free resources.  At this point I'm not sure how much more I can hack out of Windows, so I'm starting to think maybe I should just turn this into a Linux machine.    

HP Recommended

"I'm starting to think maybe I should just turn this into a Linux machine".

I finally had no choice due to the lack of space (and I tried everything to make enough room) on my HP Stream 11.  I installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit a month or so ago.  Everything works great (and better than Windows), except for the fact that HP cheapened with the HP Stream and it has only one wifi antenna.  Because of that, the Linux Realtek driver picks the empty port.  It is an easy fix though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.