cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
adeedo
Level 2
28 22 0 0
Message 1 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notes in contacts display incorrectly since 1.4.5 update

I sync using Companionsync as I use Outlook at work.  I keep notes on most of my contacts, and this information has always displayed properly in the past, but since the update to 1.4.5 it doesn't.

An example of what now shows in my notes since the update is as follows:

Home address is:<br

/>1234 Elm St.<br

/>Perris, CA 92570<br

/>Daughters names are, Jenille, Stephanie>br/>Josh

is married to Jenille

Anyways, before everything would be spaced properly and there would be line spacing if it was shown that way in my Outlook.   Now I get no Line spacing and all those >br/> characters which make reading tougher than it was before.

I don't know if it is just coincidence that it happened after the update, but if it isn't the update, what would cause something like this, and how do you fix it?

Thanks

Post relates to: Pre p100eww (Sprint)

0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
Level 8
2,374 2,354 96 63
Message 2 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello adeedo,

I was looking at a contact record over the weekend and noticed the HTML formatting also.  I sync with my Google account.  Where there should be a carriage return, there is a <br /> HTML tag.

Annoying, but no the end of the world.

Anyone else having this issue on their Sprint edition Palm Pre or Pixi?

Alan G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anachronistic
Level 6
296 277 17 62
Message 3 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Couple of questions, since I also sync to Google here and am not seeing this, so its not happening to everyone (which always means its a bit trickier to troubleshoot).

Are the folks syncing with Google using a stock google account, or google apps?

Have you tried removing the Google contacts app (Preferences and Accounts option, remove account) then re-adding it and see if the issue re-occurs?

How many contacts are in the account being synced (This is in the dialog in Preferences and Accounts where you also see Remove Account)?

Is this happening on ALL contact records, or just some?  And if just some, is there anything common (formatting, etc) between the ones showing this issue?

Finally, if I could get a screenshot (contact me privately for an email address if you do) and possibly a log file (again, I can go over this privately if you're willing to create a log, which I'd want to grab right after adding the account back into Contacts).

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Level 8
2,374 2,354 96 63
Message 4 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The following are my answers:

1. I am using a stock Google/Gmail account.  I am not a Google Apps user.

2. No, I have not tried that yet.

3. I have 367 contacts in the account that is being synchronized.

4. This problem appears to be happening on some of my contact notes.  I will do some testing to see if I can identify any commonality.

5. I will PM you as soon as I do some more testing.

Alan G

0 Kudos
Level 8
2,374 2,354 96 63
Message 5 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a quick follow up based on some testing.

If I create and save a new contact in my Gmail account, and then tap the Contacts > Preferences & Accounts > Sync Now, the new contact will appear with the <br /> tags.  I manually typed in the following text in the Notes field in Gmail:

This is the first line of text:
the second
the third
you get the idea

When I created a second new contact, this time from my Pre, and put in three lines of text, the <br /> characters still appeared.  In both cases, the information in Gmail appears correctly.  I have screen shots of three sample records.

I am removing the Gmail account and I will readd and resync it and post my results shortly.

Alan G

0 Kudos
Anachronistic
Level 6
296 277 17 62
Message 6 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No need, Alan.  I can reproduce this behaviour and will file a bug shortly.

Thank you for your steps here.

0 Kudos
Anachronistic
Level 6
296 277 17 62
Message 7 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm has logged this in its software issue tracking system. We endeavor to continuously improve our software quality and thank you for bringing this to our attention.  We are grateful to the community and will evaluate options based on customer feedback and software best practice

0 Kudos
Level 8
2,374 2,354 96 63
Message 8 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Removing and recreating the Google Gmail account does not correct the problem as far as I can tell.  After recreating the account and verifying that the problem still exists, I have created a log file that I can email to Palm support.

Please see PM for details.

Alan G

0 Kudos
Level 8
2,374 2,354 96 63
Message 9 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, sounds good. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Alan G
0 Kudos
KathyM_1
Just joined
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I extensively use the Notes section and find the formatting unusable without a fix.  I sync with Google and the formatting is fine on my desktop, but useless through my Pre.  I added a new record (to see if it differentiated between old and new) but the new record on my Pre shows all the html characters as well.  Any idea when this will get addressed???

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation