cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TitoMontana
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm Desktop Calendar & HotSync Problems

I recently picked up an unlocked one of the few remaining Treo 680s. Don't ask, it just has everything I need and it was the right price. However, I just started having some problems with it that I REALLY would like some help with. I sure hope you guys can help me with these problems 'cause it's already used up enough of my time.

1. My Palm Desktop software (the new one by Access,which I downloaded from this site,  BOY DO I MISS THE LAST VERSION) has never worked the way it should. While I'm working in the calendar, each time I click on "New Event" or Edit Event" it crashes and closes the program. The drop down menu choices for the same functions have the same result. It will let me create new events directly in the calendar but if I click them to try to edit them it crashes.

What can be done?

2. Just recently, my Hotsyncing feature started to crash too. It used to work fine while connecting with the USB cable and hotsyncing to the PalmDesktop but now it doesn't get past the calendar (Date Book) portion of the sync. It freezes up and requires a manual shut down.

Any ideas?

Anxiously waiting assistance while drowning in this sea of tech issues.

Post relates to: Treo 680 (Unlocked GSM)

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would suggest a clean uninstall of Palm Desktop, here is the directions:

You should first make a copy of your data. If you have Palm Desktop 4.2 and lower you can copy your user folder by going to C:\Program files\Palm or PalmOne. Once in here look for your username and right click on it and copy it. Then open up My Documents and Pasting it in here. If you have Palm Desktop 6.2.2 go to My Documents/Documents --> Palm OS Desktop. Copy the folder(s) in here and Paste them in My Documents/Documents

Now you will need to uninstall Palm Desktop. First go to Control Panel and in XP go to Add and Remove documents, in Vista Programs and Features. Then look for Palm Desktop and uninstall it. Then go to C:\Program files\Palm or C:\Program files\PalmOne and delete this folder. If you have Vista you will need to go to here:

C:\Program files\Palm
C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata\local\virtualstore\Program Files\Palm or PalmOne
C:\Users\[Vista Login Name]\appdata\Palm or PalmOne
*Note you may need to veiw hidden folders to get to appdata. To do that go into your Control Panel and open folder options. Go to view tab and uncheck hide hidden files.

One this is done you will need to delete some registry keys from your registry.

Word of warning, going here and deleting the wrong thing can cause your PC from starting up, crashing and deletion of programs and data. If you feel you are unsure of your self see if you have a friend that can help you or a PC technician that you can pay to help you. This will show them everything they need to delete. To help against this we need to do a backup.

Go to start and run type "regedit" without quotes

Highlight MY COMPUTER, go to File --> export. Should pop up with a Save As box. Current location is fine should be in My Documents. In the file name on the bottom type "backup[todaysdate]" i.e. backup07072008. Next, the hard part.

Easiest way to make sure your doing the right one highlight the key i.e. Palm Quick Install, and press delete on your keyboard. It will ask you are you sure. Say yes. Do the same thing for all keys below.

If you make a mistake, stop what you are doing. And call a PC technician. BUT do not turn off your computer.

The Registry keys are as follows (Note: some of these Registry keys will not be here but if they are, delete them)

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Palm Quick Install
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\PalmOne File Transfer
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\U.S. Robotics\Pilot Desktop
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palm, Inc.
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmDesktopAutorun
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmOne
* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PalmSource
* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\PalmSource

Next reboot your computer

Then reinstall your palm desktop from the CD and do a hotsync. If it asks you for a username and you synced your device before, put in 'test" if you did not sync before create a hotsync name.

TitoMontana
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, though I had already tried re-installing Palm Desktop I was looking forward to trying to do with the added regedit step.

I appreciate the detailed advice and I completed each step exactly as you suggested.

Unfortunately, there was no change to the problems.

Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My apologies. I just re-read your post and see that you cannot sync your datebook/calendar. This is starting to make sense now. The issue could be corrupted data. Here is what you need to do.

Ok, first we need to see if you can sync without calendar checked. On your computer right click the hotsync icon and go to setting and then applications. Then uncheck calendar/datebook. Close up the menus and try to hotsync if it syncs fine good continue on.

Next we need to install a program on to your device called DBFixit (here's the link http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/dbfixit.htm) Download this file on the right side of the page. Then install the application to the device. Once on the device open it up and tap on the blue bar but in the top left select delete calendar blobs and say OK or yes. Then keep running that till you have 0 listed or no blobs found. Then we are going to hotsync with calendar syncing from the device to the PC. Again right click the hotsync icon and go to custom. Then click on calendar and then change. Then select handheld overwrites desktop. Sync and post back if that fixed the issue.

If it did then we need to change the sync to sync the files and set that as default. To do that, again right right click the hotsync icon and go to setting and then applications. Then check calendar/datebook. You should be all set at that point.

TitoMontana
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Alright, this sounds like it might work. However, before I get started, does Palm have a similar program available to their customers at no charge? I only bought this unit 3 weeks ago and spending money to repair a software problem isn't exactly what I had in mind.

0 Kudos
Level 9
3,590 3,578 116 145
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No, this program is free to use but you have to fix the data manually. If you want it to just fix the data then you would need to pay for it.
0 Kudos
citywriter
Just joined
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever fully solve your Palm Desktop problem with Calendar and its crashing upon trying to enter a new event? I'm having exactly the same problem with my Treo 680 since upgrading to Palm Desktop by Access 6.2.2. Thanks!

0 Kudos
TitoMontana
Just joined
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well after trying to find time to make your recommended adjustments. My database problem is back to normal. However, the problem with the Palm program on the computer still remains.

It also seems that others are experiencing the same problem. How can we get those features to work without crashing the program?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation